AMD Showed Off New Threadrippers, 7nm Vega At Computex 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    I'm pretty sure it was confirmed there were going to be 64-core Epycs a few months ago
    Where? I have seen unconfirmed reports which said 6 cores per CCX for 7 nm (which would allow 48 core Epyc). But nothing official on the roadmap about Epyc core count.

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
    According to AMD this is going to limit performance in heavily memory-constrained and AMD's solution is to buy an Epyc CPU, which is not exactly practical if it's for a workstation use case.
    Why is it not practical? Socket SP3 workstation mobos like the Gigabyte MZ31-AR0 or Supermicro H11SSL / H11DSi have standard ATX or E-ATX format. They support the same coolers as Threadripper mobos, support LR-DIMMs for 1 TB RAM in a single system, and are only moderately more expensive than socket TR4 boards.

Downside is that they miss some consumer features like overclocking, audio jacks, and LED headers. And CPU single thread perf is less (but remember, we are looking at memory-constrained workloads).

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
      Hmmm, wonder how much that Intel 28Core 4-5ghz CPU was. I don't think its realistic to run all cores at 5ghz, must be some significant tdp and heat drawbacks.
      No, you've got it mixed up. That intel announcement was for two different products. One is a six-core @ 4-5 ghz. The other is a 28 core at unknown clock, probably around 1.9 Ghz.

It would be interesting to see a comparison between 32 core Threadripper vs. 28 core intel desktop chip (i9?)

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
        Why is it not practical? Socket SP3 workstation mobos like the Gigabyte MZ31-AR0 or Supermicro H11SSL / H11DSi have standard ATX or E-ATX format. They support the same coolers as Threadripper mobos, support LR-DIMMs for 1 TB RAM in a single system, and are only moderately more expensive than socket TR4 boards.

Downside is that they miss some consumer features like overclocking, audio jacks, and LED headers. And CPU single thread perf is less (but remember, we are looking at memory-constrained workloads).
        Wow. This is going to be awesome when it's outdated old stuff and DDR4 Registered DIMMs sell for peanuts. (Might take a while. Or RAM from retired Haswell servers will soon show up)
        Compared to using old server hardware as a desktop, like dual socket 2011, dual socket 1356 etc. there's less of a hassle as you just have one socket, doing the work of two sockets.

Still needs a giant case, for the Gigabyte one at least which I guess would be more easy to find.
        Sound jacks are not a big issue, the cheaper sound card models from Asus and Creative are very good these days (Asus DGX even has a headphone amp built-in) or there's no shortage of alternate means like audio in the monitor or audio gear with USB in.

I totally want one with an 8-core Epyc, such that I can have enough RAM to run two browsers side by side. (just kidding) (almost)

Comment

Originally posted by sykobee View Post
          The cost for the 32C version is allegedly going to be $1499.
          [snip]
          But all (former) model prices went down with it. - So be it.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            Fair enough - they were just rumors for several months, but unlike a lot of rumors, this one in particular was a bit more concrete. I'm pretty sure it was confirmed there were going to be 64-core Epycs a few months ago so whether the CCXs doubled in core counts or they doubled the amount of CCXs per package, it was reasonable to assume Threadripper would remain a halved equivalent of Epyc (half the functional CCXs, half the PCIe lanes, half the memory channels, etc) and therefore there would be a 32-core model.
            That was 48-core Epycs (96-threads/192-th systems).

Greetings,
            Dieer

Comment

The Epyc refresh is in 7nm while ThreadRipper is 12nm. So the new Epic is not a fully enabled ThreadRipper. They have gone beyond that for the professional/industry case. Epyc 7nm + Vega 7nm.
              Desktops and workstations are left with 12nm process, which is cheaper. Makes sense.

Still, software has to catch up with this kind of processors. It's the only way to continue scaling in performance. Intel has already acknowledged this with their EMIB interface.

Comment

Originally posted by nuetzel View Post
                That was 48-core Epycs (96-threads/192-th systems).
                48c 7nm Zen2-based Epyc plan has been know for maybe 2 years due to leaked customer slide decks.
                Other parties (AFAIK Canard PC was the first) have been claiming since last fall that 64c models would be coming as well (though not necessarily the first 7nm gen), with 4 MB L3/core and DDR4-3200 support.

I have been hoping that new chips go with 2 CCXs with more cores each rather than just add a 3rd or 4th 4c CCX per die, but separate 12c and 16c parts (with large L3s per CCX) might suggest the easier latter approach.

Comment

Originally posted by Herem View Post
                  Sounds like AMD have a very promising pipeline and it's all underpinned by open source software. If they can execute as planned I can see then starting to get some big wins.
                  If you've been following the news they preannounced several wins already.

Comment

Originally posted by Filiprino View Post
                    The Epyc refresh is in 7nm while ThreadRipper is 12nm. So the new Epic is not a fully enabled ThreadRipper. They have gone beyond that for the professional/industry case. Epyc 7nm + Vega 7nm.
                    Desktops and workstations are left with 12nm process, which is cheaper. Makes sense.

Still, software has to catch up with this kind of processors. It's the only way to continue scaling in performance. Intel has already acknowledged this with their EMIB interface.
                    It's about Time to Market. The 12nm is the Zen+ and is for Fall 2018. The 7nm is Zen 2 and Vega 2, both of which have never been slated before 2019, sans one exception: Vega Instinct, and that is for the Professional Markets. EPYC 2 and Vega 2 Consumer is for 2019. TR3 3000 series will be a year from this August. They are going on yearly cycles. EPYC ramp up is finally happening with growing rates of adoption. You don't flood the market with chips no one wants. Enterprise invests big when they invest. EPYC is going to have a huge 18-24 months of growth with Intel Xeon taking a bath.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post

It's about Time to Market. The 12nm is the Zen+ and is for Fall 2018. The 7nm is Zen 2 and Vega 2, both of which have never been slated before 2019, sans one exception: Vega Instinct, and that is for the Professional Markets. EPYC 2 and Vega 2 Consumer is for 2019. TR3 3000 series will be a year from this August. They are going on yearly cycles. EPYC ramp up is finally happening with growing rates of adoption. You don't flood the market with chips no one wants. Enterprise invests big when they invest. EPYC is going to have a huge 18-24 months of growth with Intel Xeon taking a bath.
                      Time to Market, yes.
                      Exception Vega Instinct, not so clear. Lisa Su already showed an Epyc 2 and said they would be giving details in the future. I expect it's at most a quarter away, ready for Q1-Q2 2019.
                      Instinct Q4 2018, Epyc 2 (Zen 2) Q1-Q2 2019. Ryzen (Zen 2) Q2-Q3 2019. ThreadRipper 3 (Zen 2) Q3 2019.

Comment

Working...
                      X