Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Showed Off New Threadrippers, 7nm Vega At Computex 2018

Phoronix: AMD Showed Off New Threadrippers, 7nm Vega At Computex 2018

Overnight was the AMD press conference at Computex 2018. Here are the highlights...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

A 32 core Threadripper! With ECC support!

Buh-bye Xeon. This is fantastic news for the PC market, even if it comes in a 2grand or so. I can't wait to stick one of these things into my compute server.

Comment

Sounds like AMD have a very promising pipeline and it's all underpinned by open source software. If they can execute as planned I can see then starting to get some big wins.

Comment

Can it play Crysis though?

Comment

Originally posted by vegabook View Post
          A 32 core Threadripper! With ECC support!

Buh-bye Xeon. This is fantastic news for the PC market, even if it comes in a 2grand or so. I can't wait to stick one of these things into my compute server.
          Just take care if your workloads are sensitive to RAM access latency. Two of the dies have no DRAM controllers in them, so everything RAM-wise for then is "far". In that case, an EPYC should do a better job.

It's not the case for the vast majority of applications, though.

Comment

So we don't about when will Navi launch yet ?

Comment

I skimmed through the whole video and the only real info they revealed about the RX Vega 56 Nano there was that it was the same card as the RX Vega 56, but in a smaller form factor.

Comment

Originally posted by andrebrait View Post

Just take care if your workloads are sensitive to RAM access latency. Two of the dies have no DRAM controllers in them, so everything RAM-wise for then is "far". In that case, an EPYC should do a better job.

It's not the case for the vast majority of applications, though.
                All dies have dram controllers, we do not know if they will have different wiring to utilize 8 channel memory on existing TR2 platform or if they will only Use 2 memory controllers.
                I do not know how they could solve it but I've seen nifty pin rearrangement at cpu package level from AMD previously.

Comment

Wouldn't that be an amazing surprise if all X399 boards were 8-channel capable, just needed the right package wiring? I would have thought someone would have figured out if that was possible by now though (perhaps testing where all of those lands in the TR4 socket actually go to..)

Comment

The cost for the 32C version is allegedly going to be $1499.

Whilst the socket is octo-channel capable (at least in its server variant), the motherboards aren't, and neither is the CPU itself wired up that way. You can see the current wiring schematic for ThreadRippers online somewhere (shows all the memory channels and InfinityFabric connections between dies within the package substrate).

I think the best we can hope for is faster memory support on the four channels, unless there is an X499 chipset/platform that enables 8 channel memory for TR2.

Comment

Working...
                    X