No announcement yet.

AMD Showed Off New Threadrippers, 7nm Vega At Computex 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

32c Threadripper is relatively old news. What I personally find surprising is the 32GB of HBM2. That is going to be one gargantuan GPU die.
    I also hope the Vega 56 Nano will use the die shrink, or else I'm not sure how they're going to keep it properly cooled without sacrificing too much performance (like they already have).

Comment

Vega 56 nano sounds like just what I'm looking for! The R9 nano was a beast, and a jewel for SFF builds.

Comment

Hmmm, wonder how much that Intel 28Core 4-5ghz CPU was. I don't think its realistic to run all cores at 5ghz, must be some significant tdp and heat drawbacks.

Comment

So when exactly are 7nm gaming cards coming?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            32c Threadripper is relatively old news.
            What? It was all rumours until yesterday.
            Originally posted by sykobee View Post
            The cost for the 32C version is allegedly going to be $1499.
            If true, then the price per core would be fantastic and even lower than what you pay for today's TR (16-core 1950X is $959 at NewEgg currently).

Compare that to the Intel HEDT platform, where you used to pay through the nose for every extra core, and even with SKL-X the cost per core is essentially flat ($939 for the 10-core 7900X to $1890 for the 18-core 7980XE).

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
              So when exactly are 7nm gaming cards coming?
              2019 most likely.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
                What? It was all rumours until yesterday.
                Fair enough - they were just rumors for several months, but unlike a lot of rumors, this one in particular was a bit more concrete. I'm pretty sure it was confirmed there were going to be 64-core Epycs a few months ago so whether the CCXs doubled in core counts or they doubled the amount of CCXs per package, it was reasonable to assume Threadripper would remain a halved equivalent of Epyc (half the functional CCXs, half the PCIe lanes, half the memory channels, etc) and therefore there would be a 32-core model.

Comment

32 cores, holy cow! :O

Comment

If Anandtech is right I'm not 100% sure the new 4-die Threadrippers are such a good idea. You see on Epyc all 4 CPU dies have direct access to two memory channels each while this new 4-die Threadripper part two of the dies don't have direct access to a memory channel and instead have to use the infinity fabric (which is getting a bump in default performance trough a bump-up in the default memory clock). According to AMD this is going to limit performance in heavily memory-constrained and AMD's solution is to buy an Epyc CPU, which is not exactly practical if it's for a workstation use case.

Still, let's hope they drop the price on the two-die 1950X replacement as I'm probably building new workstation for myself at work in late summer or the autumn and we've been impressed with it so I'm definitely looking at one or it's replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
                      Still, let's hope they drop the price on the two-die 1950X replacement as I'm probably building new workstation for myself at work in late summer or the autumn and we've been impressed with it so I'm definitely looking at one or it's replacement.
                      I don't think price drops work like that e.g. currently the Ryzen 2600 sells for a bit more than the Ryzen 1600, which is fairly natural considering it's both newer and much better.

Comment

Working...
                      X