Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Announces The Core i7 8086K That Tops Out At 5.0GHz; 28-Core Chip Coming This Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VikingGe View Post
    AMD just wanted to brag about hitting 5 GHz and charge ridiculous amounts of money for it. I can't believe that some people actually bought this thing.
    Maby because its actually a good cpu? My friend bought one 3 years ago for like 150$ and he can still max out every game he plays. Can easily reach over 300fps in cs go. It is a bit power hungry but definitely not a bad cpu.

Comment

AMD just wanted to brag about hitting 5 GHz and charge ridiculous amounts of money for it. I can't believe that some people actually bought this thing.
      Funny, I was thinking the same about this new intel part.

Comment

Even if the FX-9590 "hit" 5GHz (a lot of real-world testers found that the chips often failed to effectively hit 5GHz) Intel is fully correct in stating that these are the first mainstream 5 GHz stock parts.

Also, they're the first 5GHz parts that you'd actually want to buy.

Comment

Originally posted by totex71 View Post
          Maby because its actually a good cpu?
          No, it's not. The 8350 was a decent CPU for a number of workloads while not being too terrible at gaming, the 8320 and 6300 were great at the time because they were so cheap and could be overclocked a fair amount, but the 9590 was a) expensive even after the massive price drop some time after it launched (not sure where your friend got one for 150 bucks but that's definitely not what it was selling for regularly), b) required a ridiculous mainboard and cooling solution to even run, and c) because AMD forgot to bump the memory controller clocks on that thing it wasn't even that much faster than a stock 8350.

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
          Funny, I was thinking the same about this new intel part.
          I actually said something similar in my previous post about the Intel part as well, so it's not like we're disagreeing here.

Comment

No, it's not. The 8350 was a decent CPU for a number of workloads while not being too terrible at gaming, the 8320 and 6300 were great at the time because they were so cheap and could be overclocked a fair amount, but the 9590 was a) expensive even after the massive price drop some time after it launched (not sure where your friend got one for 150 bucks but that's definitely not what it was selling for regularly), b) required a ridiculous mainboard and cooling solution to even run, and c) because AMD forgot to bump the memory controller clocks on that thing it wasn't even that much faster than a stock 8350.
            I know i own the fx-6300 myself and i am still impressed by how well it performs today. That being said when i compare it to my friends 9590 it is pretty obvious why it is more expensive it performs just as well in any cpu intensive game we play as our friends i7 that cost him 350$ 4 years ago. 9590 is targeted towards people that know what they are doing. Not regular users.

Comment

The clock should have been 4.77- never mind...

The title is confusing. I almost thought this processor had 28 cores...
              Last edited by tildearrow; 05 June 2018, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Intel, just because you could doesn't mean you should.

Comment

Originally posted by ptyerman View Post
                  Sounds good but prepare to get a second mortgage, sell a kidney and auction off the kids to pay for one. Intel sure know how to fleece folk!
                  From the sweepstakes details: "The Grand Prize consists of one (1) Intel Processor Core i7 Chip (ARV: $425USD)." Or did you mean the 28 core? That will probably be ridiculously expensive, for CPU and appropriate board and cooler and PSU.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
                    Intel is fully correct in stating that these are the first mainstream 5 GHz stock parts.
                    First of all, Intel isn't saying anything like that. The official press release states that:

In honor of that, we revealed the limited edition 8th Gen IntelĀ® CoreTM i7-8086K processor, the first-ever CPU with a 5.0GHz turbo frequency.
                    Which is clearly false since the FX-9590 is a CPU and it already had a 5GHz turbo frequency, but who cares about facts when fantasy is so much better.

Interesting that the 2018 Computex 8086 Fact sheet has a slightly tweaked version of this that removes the false claim:

The Intel Core i7 - 8086K processor is also the first Intel processor to deliver up to 5.0GHz single-core turbo frequency out of the box...
                    Last edited by devius; 05 June 2018, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post

Which is clearly false since the FX-9590 is a CPU and it already had a 5GHz turbo frequency, but who cares about facts when fantasy is so much better.
                      Given how much a failure the FX-9590 was I'm happy to give Intel the benefit of the doubt here.

Also, when you consider the levels to which AMD stooped to pretend that Bulldozer was the "world's first 8 core" CPU (that performed well below a real 4 core Sandy Bridge that came out first) while Intel had pushed out real 8 core parts well in advance of Bulldozer, this is more of a trivial typo than the 'fantasy' that AMD went with for six years.

Comment

Working...
                      X