Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apokalypz
    replied
    I'm hoping the Panfrost project pans-out. Lol. The project lead is doing all the work on an armv7 chromebook. But they have a proof of concept and are planning to get it to work with mesa. I wish my skills were good enough to help on a project like that.

To anyone wanting an arm box with decent power behind it, there's the tegra series (very expensive though), and the latest suscessful chipset from rockchip RK3399. Boards with that chip are the rock64pro and the TBA Odroid-N1 which should be announced for sale in the coming weeks I guess. I have that chipset powering my Chromebook and it's pretty snappy. It's not gonna replace a box used for compiling large projects or video editing/transcoding, but for what it is, it's quick. Good for browsing the interwebs, hosting a high speed NAS, etc.

I don't really expect to see this new arm CPU IP in the wild any time soon. Manufactures use the crap out of what they already paid for and only turn to new hardware when what they're currently using won't cut it. So don't expect to see this CPU for 3 to 5 years. Don't expect to see Linux support for that processor for another 2+ years after that.

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    Originally posted by Space Heater View Post
    Hard to get excited about new Mali graphics when ARM refuses to support open drivers.
    For me it's not even a matter of having open drivers. Having fully functional drivers on a modern kernel is all I ask.

Leave a comment:

• Space Heater
    replied
    Hard to get excited about new Mali graphics when ARM refuses to support open drivers.

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    Originally posted by TheOne View Post
    Now I would like to see some SoC using this. I have been waiting for years to replace my power hungry x86-x64 equipment with a low power consumption arm board... I have been looking for low power x64 cpus (because of steam) but non convinces me because they perform really poor...
    Yeah, I've been searching for a Linux compatible ARM-based laptop for years. But, most of them are poor quality, have useless GPU drivers, or lack too many features (that I know other ARM devices support). I really want the Asus NovaGo, but it isn't clear if Linux can run on it, let alone well.

Originally posted by quaz0r View Post
    "7nm"
    Yeah, it might not actually be 7nm (I hear some companies exaggerate the size based on how the shape and layout of the transistors) but I believe it would be close enough, and achievable. Unlike x86, ARM chips are expected to have a low TDP and low frequency. I get the impression one of the main limitations of modern x86 CPUs getting die shrinks is because they can't maintain their high clock speeds, probably because such speeds require higher voltage, which promotes quantum tunneling. Even if <=10nm nodes are unstable for the demands of x86, that could be largely irrelevant for ARM.

Leave a comment:

• quaz0r
    replied
    "7nm"

Leave a comment:

• c117152
    replied
    Originally posted by numacross View Post
    Yet another core that's vulnerable to Spectre?
    From the press release:
    • Decoupled branch prediction and instruction fetch: Built to hide latency at high bandwidth, the in-order Cortex-A76 front-end is able to fetch 4 to 8 instructions per cycle, using multi-level branch target caches and hybrid indirect predictor to sustain the maximum throughput.

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
    Now I would like to see some SoC using this. I have been waiting for years to replace my power hungry x86-x64 equipment with a low power consumption arm board... I have been looking for low power x64 cpus (because of steam) but non convinces me because they perform really poor...
    This isn't gaming. This is office productivity. And at the low, casual users and students end. Future wise, any foray into the gaming desktop / workstation performance space will go through a console manufacturer like Sony, Nintendo or Microsoft. Once the major engines are ported, more open PC-like designs might be an option. But that's 2-4 years from now...

Leave a comment:

• dwagner
    replied
    Strange that they do not even mention any Spectre mitigation attempts. One would think that every customer wants to know if a new core is still susceptible to these dire security flaws.

Leave a comment:

• kenjitamura
    replied
    So we'll probably see this in budget smartphones in about 3-5 years right? Looking forward to it.

Leave a comment:

• davidlt
    replied
    Originally posted by numacross View Post
    Yet another core that's vulnerable to Spectre?
    Well, of course. There vulnerabilities to come, thus don't expect to find a high-performance silicon which is secure from this.

BUT, they did some some of issues: https://developer.arm.com/support/ar...-vulnerability

Variant 2 and 3 are solved. Variant 1 and Variant 4 (just announced) are still present.

Leave a comment:

• TheOne
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X