Schedutil CPU Frequency Scaling Governor Improvements Coming To Linux 4.18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schedutil CPU Frequency Scaling Governor Improvements Coming To Linux 4.18

Phoronix: Schedutil CPU Frequency Scaling Governor Improvements Coming To Linux 4.18

Adding to the list of changes coming to Linux 4.18 are updates to CPUFreq's "Schedutil" CPU frequency scaling governor...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    There are also fixes aroudn the iowait boost mode.

Comment

Meh. The whole idea of operating system driven scaling governors is falling out of date. The CPUs themselves are better equipped to make the decisions.

I suppose it still applies to ARM. But not to modern Intel or AMD Zen designs.

Comment

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post
        Meh. The whole idea of operating system driven scaling governors is falling out of date. The CPUs themselves are better equipped to make the decisions.

Better equipped, sure, but I'm not a fan of embedding such logic if it can be avoided.
        Any issues can't be fixed, you can't tune it to your needs, and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post

I gotta disagree here. as someone else point out, you can't fix bugs if the logic is embedded in the cpu... some workloads may prefer some control and/or the embedded logic may be too rigid / inflexible...

I use schedutil on my Arch box and my OG pixel. I hwvrn't tested much on power-saving on my PC - since it's a desktop PC anyway... but on my OG Pixel; paired with some other tweaks I get a lot of extra screen on time...

Comment

Working...
          X