Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rev667
    replied
    I have just built a new PC for myself to replace my very old core2duo junkpile.

MSI B350M Gaming PRO mainboard
    Ryzen 5 2400G APU
    16Gb 3200 RAM
    256Gb SSD
    1Tb HDD
    DVD Writer

I use Mint as my OS of choice, so attempted to install from USB, and eventually got to a desktop using compatibility mode install.
    After reading a lot I found this and thought to myself, that's the way to go.
    Installed ukuu so I could use a newer kernel (4.18.8 generic atm)
    Then added latest MESA from oibaf repo. 18.3

It has boot issues, it will boot about 1 time in 4 attempts, otherwise it locks before it gets to the logo. When I do get to desktop everything works great, I don't game but do use things like Freecad and Draftsight.

It seems pretty random, but after reading this article I'm convinced the mainboard is at fault, I'm new to these pointy-clicky bios stuff so will attempt to dig thru there and see if some obscure bios parameter is at fault.

If anyone has any ideas or links I'd be glad of them.

I'll be following this with interest.

Rev

Leave a comment:

• phwoar
    replied
    Originally posted by phwoar View Post
    Using a fresh install of Ubuntu MATE 18.04 but with 4.18RC2 from kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/ (specifically kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.18-rc2/) is working fine for me and is indeed more reliable than previous versions.
    Of course having said that, it decides to lock up while playing a 2D game using the Unity engine.

What's interesting is that having done so, it won't boot to desktop successfully unless I use recovery mode (where 'resume' ends up with not recognising the monitor properly and giving a 1024x768 screen) first.

Leave a comment:

• phwoar
    replied
    Originally posted by phwoar View Post
    Given how sensitive to driver & kernel versions this appears to be, it would be very useful to have a specific 'this exact PPA for the drivers, this exact source for the kernel' somewhere, either in the article or these comments..

.. he says waiting for his 2400G-based system to arrive.
    It has, so I can say that in a MSI B350M PRO-VDH motherboard..

.. it really does not like legacy booting. I can only boot reliably with UEFI, otherwise it locks up.

Using a fresh install of Ubuntu MATE 18.04 but with 4.18RC2 from kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/ (specifically kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.18-rc2/) is working fine for me and is indeed more reliable than previous versions. The glmark2 score with 18.0 MESA is 2773 (plus or minus one!)

I can install the MESA 18.2 drivers from launchpad.net/~paulo-miguel-dias/+archive/ubuntu/mesa and get a glmark2 score of 2797, i.e. slightly faster..

.. but then it won't get to a graphical desktop when I next boot. I can Alt-F3 to a virtual terminal, uninstall them, and reboot. When I do that, it works.

Given the difference - on this benchmark anyway - is so small, I can live without the hassle of installing them and remembering to uninstall them before the next boot.

Leave a comment:

• phwoar
    replied
    Given how sensitive to driver & kernel versions this appears to be, it would be very useful to have a specific 'this exact PPA for the drivers, this exact source for the kernel' somewhere, either in the article or these comments..

.. he says waiting for his 2400G-based system to arrive.

Leave a comment:

• zxmth
    replied
    This .config seems to have resulted in a more stable kernel - at least as far as consistent boots are concerned anyway. Still a few issues now and again but this seems to be moving in the right direction. This is for building and running 4.17.1 on Fedora 28. https://pastebin.com/a6tA5kdE If there is anything I should be setting (or unsetting) based on other 2400g users experiences, I'd love to know.

Leave a comment:

• zxmth
    replied
    phoronix i'm struggling to get a stable kernel build with Ryzen 5 2400g on a Gigabyte AB350N-Gaming WIFI/AB350N-Gaming WIFI-CF, BIOS F23d. I'm not looking for graphics performance with this system - just stable and consistent booting - I'll use this machine for a development workstation with no heavy grahics processing so I'm not worried about that at the moment.

Right now I get regular build hangs, occasional kernel panics at boot, and gray screens during boot. Once the system does eventually boot it runs relatively well but I'm hoping to get the system booting consistently.

I've been playing around with various .config's for building 4.17 and today 4.17.1 but can't seem to get anything to consistently boot stable. Could you share what sorts of configuration changes you made to the 4.17 kernels you've built for Ryzen 5 2400g testing that resulted in the stability you reported here?

Leave a comment:

• nuetzel
    replied
    Originally posted by davidbepo View Post

2400g is desktop and my mobo is asus b30m-e
    Yes, right. I realized that during my write...
    Have to look for AMD Ryzen 5 2500U & 7 2700U.
    Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• davidbepo
    replied
    Originally posted by nuetzel View Post

Can you please send your system specs/price?
    What options do we have, currently.
    HP, Dell, Acer? - Lenovo would be cool, but could they deliver?
    HP Envy x360, Acer Swift 3, Lenovo IdeaPad 720S
    I need to configure a new laptop for a customer.
    2400g is desktop and my mobo is asus b350m-e
    Last edited by davidbepo; 04 June 2018, 10:18 AM.

Leave a comment:

• nuetzel
    replied
    Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
    my 2400g has been almost stable for one month now
    Can you please send your system specs/price?
    What options do we have, currently.
    HP, Dell, Acer? - Lenovo would be cool, but could they deliver?
    HP Envy x360, Acer Swift 3, Lenovo IdeaPad 720S
    I need to configure a new laptop for a customer.

Leave a comment:

• Ansla
    replied
    droidhacker Mesa 18.1 was released as stable 2 weeks ago and master became 18.2. See https://www.mesa3d.org/relnotes/18.1.0.html

Small correction: master actually became 18.2 over a month ago when 18.1 was branched https://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/me...36993deba37908
    Last edited by Ansla; 31 May 2018, 08:04 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X