No announcement yet.

Raven Ridge With The Ryzen 5 2400G On Mesa 18.2 + Linux 4.17 Is Finally Stable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you swapped the CPUs to confirm it's the chip?

Comment

Originally posted by Duve View Post
      Hey Micheal.... a request...
      I know that just about everyone is killing for those Desktop APU, but would there be a different between them and laptop APU's? Would be be able to test any Ryzen laptops?
      I am concerned if only because I am shopping around for a new laptop and Ryzen is sounding really good for a linux laptop right now. Unless the APU's have issues.
      Unfortunately no. I have no funds for any new hardware purchases and haven't been offered any Ryzen laptop review samples.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by GruenSein View Post

The Kaveri performance increase does not have anything to do with any general optimization RR could benefit from. The increase in performance was achieved by (finally) enabling all hardware ressources (Was it execution queues? Not sure anymore) which were disabled specifically for Kaveri before. It is doubtful that the situation is or was the same for RR.
        Ok...cool. Thanks for that info !

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Unfortunately no. I have no funds for any new hardware purchases and haven't been offered any Ryzen laptop review samples.
          I don't have a Ryzen laptop Michael. But I do have a Lenovo Ideapad laptop with a Bristol Ridge APU ( Carrizo refresh ). Perhaps this could fill in some data gaps from Kaveri based laptops to Ryzen. I'll be downloading your benchmarking program soon to do my own benchmarks. But, if I can find time to spare it, what would it take for me to ship you my laptop for some benchmarking ? And how long would you need it?

Comment

Glorious openarena pbench just shows memory bwidth difference, here dual channel DDR3 vs DDR4 vs eDRAM
            Last edited by dungeon; 19 May 2018, 10:16 AM.

Comment

I'd also say that the combination of Mesa 18.2.x and Linux Kernel 4.18 with the commit of Scatter Gather DMA support already present in Carrizo APU's and its derivatives ( Bristol Ridge and Stoney Ridge ) we could see another nice uptick in performance with pre- Ryzen based Raven Ridge APUs. Not to mention Vulkan.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Glorious openarena pbench just shows memory bwidth difference, here dual channel DDR3 vs DDR4 vs eDRAM
                Damn....still that old 5775 with the eDram Iris Pro. HBM cannot come fast enough.

Comment

I still have a very annoying problem with my 2400G, it hangs on return from suspend to RAM. This is really annoying and it also makes me vary of buying a laptop with a AMD APU (I close the lid and put it in suspend all the time). There's also another strange issue, if I disable the iGPU in the BIOS then it will not boot, not with 4.17rc5 or any other kernel I've tried - unless I also choose IOMMU off in the BIOS. It seems something ties IOMMU to the iGPU. If I just enable the iGPU and use a dedicated graphics card then it works fine. Of course, suspend doesn't work. This is on a system with a ASUS 350M Prime board. Interesting side-note, this box with same RAM/GPU/board and a Ryzen 1600X (which is now in another system) could suspend just fine so its 2400G specific.

Also quite sad to read the 2200G is still a total mess, don't have one but at their price it's a very attractive little chip.

Oh, one last little detail in case anyone cares: The 2400G would drop clocks down when doing things like make -j6 or -j8 using the stock cooler. I put a massive really over-sized gigantic thing with a 12" fan one on mine (since that one was on sale at half price) and magically it can stay at 3.8 GHz on all cores forever. It does seem like these chips have a lot more headroom if you swap the pathetic little thing AMD includes with something intimidating.

Comment

Originally posted by xiando View Post
                    I still have a very annoying problem with my 2400G, it hangs on return from suspend to RAM. This is really annoying and it also makes me vary of buying a laptop with a AMD APU (I close the lid and put it in suspend all the time).
                    This issue haunted every amdgpu.dc=1 driven GPU for many months now, this in conjuction with a "mean time between system crashes < 3 days" kept me, from buying an AMD based laptop.

You might want to have a look at the two patches I mentioned in https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=103277 which seemed to make a difference.

Comment

I have a question for you guys. I am using Kubuntu 18.04 with the 4.17 rc5 Kernel and also added the 18.2 mesa from Padoka ppa on a 2400G and Asus B350M-E motherboard. I use it primarily for an HTPC with Kodi. I have had problems with H.265 files freezing in both windows and Linux. In Windows this issue seems to have been fixed with the new AMD drivers released the other day. What drivers should I be using in Linux. Currently I have just been using the standard Kubuntu drivers.

Comment

Working...
                      X