Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ansla
    replied
    droidhacker Mesa 18.1 was released as stable 2 weeks ago and master became 18.2. See https://www.mesa3d.org/relnotes/18.1.0.html

Small correction: master actually became 18.2 over a month ago when 18.1 was branched https://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/me...36993deba37908
    Last edited by Ansla; 05-31-2018, 08:04 AM.

Leave a comment:

• droidhacker
    replied
    From where does one get this mythical mesa 18.2? Seems that they only have 18.0 stable and 18.1 dev....

Leave a comment:

• Azio
    replied
    Hi guys,

I've been around phoronix site for a while but now I decided to register as I got interested in this rr-on-linux thread.

There is the following statement in an article:

But with the Ryzen 3 2200G box and the MSI B350M GAMING PRO motherboard using its latest BIOS (2.G0) and the same Linux stack, it's been a stability wreck.
    Now I am wondering: was it VEGA 8 or mobo issue? Have you tried to swap the CPUs to check whose fault was that?

Have you tried [email protected] on both setups with HDMI port?

Leave a comment:

• marek
    replied
    Originally posted by dungeon View Post
    only maybe DCC engine might help there on Ryzen APUs to be in range of Iris Pro's eDRAM, as that at least theoretically can save bandwidth by up to 30%.
    The compression ratio is 1:4, so up to 75%.

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
    i really found this comment to be surprising in this forum. Todays ApUs are very capable of performing in professional settings. As such RAM reliability could become a factor in purchasee.
    Yes, they certainly are capable of professional settings, but being capable is only one of many factors to consider. Professional environments where data integrity is crucial is not the target demographic of these chips. Besides, not everything that is capable of a use is the best option. For example, a Ferrari is [theoretically] capable of towing a boat, due to the sturdy frame, lots of power, and good brakes. But despite being good on paper, I can't see myself recommending someone try this, even if they happened to already own both a Ferrari and a boat.

Now for something more opinionated: Nowadays, I find ECC RAM to be an unnecessary expense in systems where data integrity isn't absolutely crucial and where there isn't time to do a 2nd redundancy batch for error checking. Standard RAM just isn't that unreliable, especially if you're not overclocking (which you shouldn't be doing with professional applications). These APUs are awkwardly placed when it comes to professional applications - the GPUs are either tremendously overkill, or, underwhelming enough where ECC RAM is an odd priority. To me, it makes more sense to buy a non-G CPU (with ECC support) and buy a discrete Quadro or Firepro with ECC, or, just deal with the fact that ECC probably isn't necessary for your workload. Like I said though, this is all just an opinion, so I don't expect you or starshipeleven to agree. However, I would have to agree with his point that due to the inflated RAM prices, ECC is relatively a better value.

Leave a comment:

• Duve
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post

Unfortunately no. I have no funds for any new hardware purchases and haven't been offered any Ryzen laptop review samples.
    Darn, then I am to only guess that any APU improvements effects both platforms.
    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    If you can find an APU laptop with dual-channel memory, I'm confident that would make for a decent buy. I'm not sure if current ones are Vega based, but they have good performance regardless. The tricky part is most of them are configured for single-channel memory. Considering how both Ryzen and Vega are starved for bandwidth, you should only consider dual-channel setups.
    Given that power is a primary concern with any portable device, I doubt you would ever find a laptop that supports dual-channel setups that isn't in the high-end category. I like my games an all, but I have a budget to keep.

Last edited by Duve; 05-21-2018, 11:13 AM.

Leave a comment:

• wizard69
    replied
    Originally posted by dwagner View Post
    Just looked and tested: Yes they are. Unluckily, besides being able to resume from S3 again, linux-4.17rc5 is crazy unstable with amdgpu.dc=1 on my system (Ryzen + RX460 GPU) - it literally crashed minutes after rebooting while trying to type this response. The older kernel I use suffers from those crashes "only" every few days (which is bad enough).
    Well it is a release candidate. Not to be glib as ive been testing on my HP ENVY for some time various distros (havent decided yet but leaning towards Fedora) and nothing has yet proven stable enough for permanet intallation. I believe however that we are real close and probably woild be there if suspend wasnt so important.

Leave a comment:

• wizard69
    replied
    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post

Why exactly is ECC for an APU so important to you, to the point that you'd sell your 2400G? It's kind of the equivalent of putting premium gas in a cheap economy car.
    i really found this comment to be surprising in this forum. Todays ApUs are very capable of performing in professional settings. As such RAM reliability could become a factor in purchasee.

There was a day when APU type chips where at best a joke and not for serious use. That is no longer the case

Leave a comment:

• wizard69
    replied
    Originally posted by neatnoise View Post

Integrated GPU's don't have dedicated memory, they use RAM memory.
    HBM memory could esily be integrated into an APU package and fully support both the GPU and the CPU. Rumors are strong that AMD is working on such a solution. You would then have to buy an 8GB or 16GB APU chip as i doubt external RAM would be supported.

RAM integrated into the SoC package will happen sooner or later. It is the only way left to significant GPU performance increases in APUs. Im actually wondering what is taking so long at AMD, such chips should be high priorities at AMD.

Leave a comment:

• dwagner
    replied
    Originally posted by xiando View Post
    according to the last message in the bug report those two patches should already be part of 4.17rc5.
    Just looked and tested: Yes they are. Unluckily, besides being able to resume from S3 again, linux-4.17rc5 is crazy unstable with amdgpu.dc=1 on my system (Ryzen + RX460 GPU) - it literally crashed minutes after rebooting while trying to type this response. The older kernel I use suffers from those crashes "only" every few days (which is bad enough).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X