No announcement yet.

Four Years After Launch, AMD Kaveri Sees Huge Performance Boost On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ryzen 3 2200G vs A10-7870K or something similar.
    The A10-7870K is really impressive. The 2200G is considered for playing 1080p low or 720p medium, both around 30-60 for current windows games.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      Can't edit for some reason... but I remember there might have been a technical obstacle re: porting UVD support for SI from Radeon to amdgpu... i'll check what we are doing for the AMDGPU packaged drivers.
      Didn't it need a new firmware release with updated headers or something like that?

Comment

I have an A10-7860K APU that I topped with a RX560 (4Gb though) when I found the money. Now I'm wondering if I shouldn't try the Kaveri GPU bit again to check which one is best...
        Unless there's a way to use both as a muxless system such as vgaswitcheroo in a laptop? That would definitely save some energy.

Comment

The 560 is probably still 2x as fast as the Kaveri, even with the latest updates. My guess would be a bit over 2x due to faster/more VRAM.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
            I have an A10-7860K APU that I topped with a RX560 (4Gb though) when I found the money. Now I'm wondering if I shouldn't try the Kaveri GPU bit again to check which one is best...
            Unless there's a way to use both as a muxless system such as vgaswitcheroo in a laptop? That would definitely save some energy.
            I still daydream of a day when my computer can tell which GPU is ideal for which task and divvy up the tasks that way. I have an A10-7850k paired with a GTX 1060. I don't see that happening though, multigpu doesn't seem to be a priority for anybody

Comment

He, he, FGLRX was always faster on GCN 1.1 APUs and this is probably a major reason why

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
                year of the Linux desktop. Your HW will get great support.... about the time it gets deprecated :-)
                Let alone that Desktop year, It is harder nowdays to be be even Year of the Linux Enterprise - this is something also called Corporate Desktop

AMD today launching various Ryzen PRO APUs:

https://www.amd.com/en-us/press-rele...2018may14.aspx

When it comes to Linux, just don't ask where a drivers are as PRO driver does not support APUs
                Last edited by dungeon; 14 May 2018, 09:52 PM.

Comment

I'm sure I don't need to point out that Ryzen Pro (CPU/APU) and Radeon Pro (dGPU) are different brands aimed at different markets (Commercial vs 3D/CAD workstation), and that you don't need to run Radeon Pro drivers on Ryzen Pro APUs.
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    I'm sure I don't need to point out that Ryzen Pro (CPU/APU) and Radeon Pro (dGPU) are different brands aimed at different markets (Commercial vs 3D/CAD workstation)
                    On Linux, but on Windows is not like that. There is no such artifical separation there. Or If that is not true then you are not sure so better talk to your marketing team, as i don't see any VS there

Ryzen PRO processors are designed to meet the fast-changing requirements of today’s business PC users, including both commercial workloads and rich multimedia capabilities that are becoming more typical as the traditional boundaries between work and personal computing merge. Offering desktop-class performance in an ultrathin notebook2 , the AMD Ryzen™ 7 PRO 2700U offers more system performance than the competition3 and up to 16 hours of battery life to enable all-day productivity1. In desktop, the AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 2400G and AMD Ryzen 3 PRO 2200G delivers world-class performance on heavily graphics-intensive commercial and workstation-grade workloads ranging from graphics design to 3D CAD to medical imaging, while also excelling at general office productivity tasks4,5.
                    and that you don't need to run Radeon Pro drivers on Ryzen Pro APUs.
                    So you have decided how Linux user of PRO APUs, does not need to run workstation workloads

Better say 'might not need' or the best just learn to say clear 'No'. 'No' is easy, everbody understand that

BTW, what are Radeon Pro drivers now? Do AMD have any plans to stop renaming things?
                    Last edited by dungeon; 15 May 2018, 12:54 AM.

Comment

So will this also speed up my Carrizo (a10 8700p) laptop since it has similar graphics?

Comment

Working...
                      X