Four Years After Launch, AMD Kaveri Sees Huge Performance Boost On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
    I remember some time ago Intel APUs had surpassed Kavery on OpenGL tests. I'm curious to see if the situation remain the same. Especially that i7 5775C with the Iris GPU.
    That was just the Iris Pro parts though (eg 5775C), wasn't it ?

Originally posted by humbug View Post
    Now that dc has been made the default will we be making amdgpu the default kernel driver for gcn 1.1 GPUs?
    It's about time.
    Actually DC was temporarily made NOT the default for amdgpu on GCN 1.1 due to startup problems with VGA and LVDS displays, so making amdgpu the default will need to wait until the VGA/LVDS issues are figured out and DC can be re-enabled as default.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by haplo602 View Post
      oh wow ... what the ... so nobody bothered to fix this for a few years ...
      Yeah, this is WTF. Probably affects power efficiency a lot too, which is unacceptable. Shame.

Comment

Originally posted by Holograph View Post

Yeah, this is WTF.
        Yeah, where were you guys till now.

Comment

year of the Linux desktop. Your HW will get great support.... about the time it gets deprecated :-)

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
            year of the Linux desktop. Your HW will get great support.... about the time it gets deprecated :-)

Comment

A year ago or so I got my friend to get a 7860k based on AMDs Open Source Linux push, and that their stuff tends to get better over time. Point made! At least, when the newer kernel gets to him

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Actually DC was temporarily made NOT the default for amdgpu on GCN 1.1 due to startup problems with VGA and LVDS displays, so making amdgpu the default will need to wait until the VGA/LVDS issues are figured out and DC can be re-enabled as default.
                So what's the plan with regards to GCN 1.0? Sounds like GCN 1.1 has a solid future some day on top of amdgpu dc but will 1.0 even go to amdgpu by default?

Comment

Same as GCN 1.1 - it becomes default when that can be done without losing features/stability relative to Radeon. I think someone mentioned that UVD was a gap (although IIRC one of the community developers was working on that) and I believe there was one other key feature.
                  Test signature

Comment

Can't edit for some reason... but I remember there might have been a technical obstacle re: porting UVD support for SI from Radeon to amdgpu... i'll check what we are doing for the AMDGPU packaged drivers.
                    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

I re-checked the last benchmark Michael did back in February, it was just a couple of cases the ix8000 thingies got ahead. Comparing to today's test, Kavery should stay ahead on all tests minus were the i7-5775c CPU make a diference.

Comment

Working...
                      X