Four Years After Launch, AMD Kaveri Sees Huge Performance Boost On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Four Years After Launch, AMD Kaveri Sees Huge Performance Boost On Linux

Phoronix: Four Years After Launch, AMD Kaveri Sees Huge Performance Boost On Linux

For those making use of AMD Kaveri APUs, the latest Linux graphics stack improvements will now yield much better performance -- up to twice as fast in some instances! Here are some benchmarks with Ubuntu 18.04 on the AMD A10-7870K.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm sure in some cases this would be almost exactly twice as fast, but is bottlenecked by memory.

Comment

Are there any news on UVD support on GCN 1.0? That is the thing I am missing the most sadly with Linux I have to choose from hardware video acceleration and Vulkan support.

Comment

Originally posted by Namenlos View Post
        Are there any news on UVD support on GCN 1.0? That is the thing I am missing the most sadly with Linux I have to choose from hardware video acceleration and Vulkan support.
        There's no UVD for x265 or VP anyway, so pick Vulkan

Comment

Would this change improve rendering using OpenCL?

Comment

I remember some time ago Intel APUs had surpassed Kavery on OpenGL tests. I'm curious to see if the situation remain the same. Especially that i7 5775C with the Iris GPU.

Comment

Typos:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              given the rendr back-end change,
              Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              For those curious about the Vulkan versus OpenGL performanceo n the A10-7870K

Comment

oh wow ... what the ... so nobody bothered to fix this for a few years ...

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                  I remember some time ago Intel APUs had surpassed Kavery on OpenGL tests. I'm curious to see if the situation remain the same. Especially that i7 5775C with the Iris GPU.
                  At this point, Kaveri-based A10s (maybe even the A8s) would likely outperform Intel's lineup, except the Iris Pro. I'm not sure about the A12.

Comment

Now that dc has been made the default will we be making amdgpu the default kernel driver for gcn 1.1 GPUs?
                    It's about time.

Comment

Working...
                    X