No announcement yet.

Linux 4.17 Getting A Fix That May Help AMD Systems Conserve Power When Idling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.17 Getting A Fix That May Help AMD Systems Conserve Power When Idling

Phoronix: Linux 4.17 Getting A Fix That May Help AMD Systems Conserve Power When Idling

Besides other promising Linux 4.17 power saving improvements, a separate fix was queued today for potentially helping AMD systems conserve power...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

too bad i cant test it due to imposibility to shutdown in new kernels https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=199505

Comment

I would love to use the power saving features, but I've had them disabled since I built my Ryzen system as it was giving me random reboots. Did they ever fix that issue in AGESA or kernel?

Comment

davidbepo,
        That sounds like an annoying bug, but there is no useful information on that bug report. You should at least mention where it hangs or really at a minimum try to post some dmesg output. As it is right now I would probably ignore the bug as well because most likely it's not a kernel bug but a distro issue. Have you tried to boot an older kernel to confirm the problem goes away? Do you have links to other posts where people are having the same problem? The kernel developers are not mind readers or some kind of wizard. They will need at least some context. I'm just trying to give you advice why that bug hasn't seen any replies.

Comment

Power consumptions of some of the newer systems needs improvements, quite happy that there are activities to improve this from the kernel side!

Comment

play_dead() is used for things like cpu offlining and it's cousins (machine checks etc), not so much for idle...
            so likely the impact is not visible unless you offline cpus

Comment

so C1e will be supported also in AMD CPUs?

Comment

what about C4 anc C5 states? Are there supported? how to know what linux kernel really supports linux till now? It seems that ACPI improvements are planed just in 4.17 kernel.... A user has to know what the kernel is able to support.

Comment

Originally posted by zeroepoch View Post
                  davidbepo,
                  That sounds like an annoying bug, but there is no useful information on that bug report. You should at least mention where it hangs or really at a minimum try to post some dmesg output. As it is right now I would probably ignore the bug as well because most likely it's not a kernel bug but a distro issue. Have you tried to boot an older kernel to confirm the problem goes away? Do you have links to other posts where people are having the same problem? The kernel developers are not mind readers or some kind of wizard. They will need at least some context. I'm just trying to give you advice why that bug hasn't seen any replies.
                  cant output dmesg because it completely freezes at shutdown and as said in the report the issue was introduced on 4.16.3 im using 4.16.2 right now and it works fine

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post

cant output dmesg because it completely freezes at shutdown and as said in the report the issue was introduced on 4.16.3 im using 4.16.2 right now and it works fine
                    Perhaps you could at least include some relevant information, such as what distro you are using, whether it affects reboot or just shutdown, the commands you ran, etc. Anything, really.

Comment

Working...
                    X