AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Linux Performance Boosted By Updated BIOS/AGESA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
    Yeah, new AGESA could feel like entirely different CPU Diff is so big really, that it looks like all reviewers should review these Ryzens AG(ESA)AIN

Of course if this is not just Micheal's isolated case
    What exactly changed though?

Comment

Those are some pretty good improvements, considering the performance of this CPU was already pretty good. Assuming this affects all OSes, kinda sucks for AMD, since that means a lot of people have already made their first impressions.

I assume this has no impact on 1st gen Ryzens? For me, the latest AGESA update improved my OC stability, but I haven't noticed if anything was running faster.

Comment

Michael would you mind doing some testing for the soft lockup bug on the new Ryzen chips?

Comment

Originally posted by SemiLucid View Post
          Michael would you mind doing some testing for the soft lockup bug on the new Ryzen chips?

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=196683
          I didn't get any since I installed it yesterday. But that's of course not very conclusive yet. Both core and package C6 are enabled.

Comment

I also have 90° on idle with k10 temp.
            Also, my GPU fans are 100%, both on windows or linux, as soon as the login manager start (so I guess as soon as the nvidia driver starts). And that's highly annoying... Asus x470 pro / 2700x and an "old" 970GTX phantom.

Comment

Wow, these are impressive improvements.
              It is a pitty that review sites rarely do any updates on their articles with new software releases.

Comment

Isn't the ThreadRipper relevant as a comparison as well? At least for the pure CPU tests?

Comment

Originally posted by fernie View Post

Only 10? for me it reports 90-110C mostly idle, in bios its shows ok under 40C
                  I have the same results with k10temp.
                  Also, as soon as the computer reach a login screen (both linux or windows, so I guess it's really as soon as the nvidia driver starts) my GPU fans go to 100%, which is very (very) annoying. 2700X on an asus prime x470 pro, with an "old" GTX 970...

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

Weird numbering, since previous AGESA was something 1.0.0.7x.
                    That was RavenPI, and the current one is PinnaclePI. They reset the version number to 1.0.0.0 when support for the new gen was added.

Comment

Wow, pretty impressive results. Looking forward to the new Ryzen killer from Intel. I doubt they have anything in store.

Comment

Working...
                      X