Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Linux Performance Boosted By Updated BIOS/AGESA

Phoronix: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Linux Performance Boosted By Updated BIOS/AGESA

With last week's initial launch-day Linux benchmarks of the Ryzen 5 2600X / Ryzen 7 2700X some found the Linux performance to be lower than Windows. While the root cause is undetermined, a BIOS/AGESA update does appear to help the Linux performance significantly at least with the motherboard where I've been doing most of my tests with the Ryzen 7 2700X. Here are the latest benchmark numbers.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Are you seeing +10°C temperature offset from k10temp with Ryzen 2700X?

Comment

What exactly is AGESA? Sorry for my ignorance.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
        Are you seeing +10°C temperature offset from k10temp with Ryzen 2700X?
        Only 10? for me it reports 90-110C mostly idle, in bios its shows ok under 40C

Comment

Originally posted by Venemo View Post
          What exactly is AGESA? Sorry for my ignorance.
          a important part of amd processor firmware, its version is used to determine how new is the bios as the bios is based on it, there are more technically correct or advanced explanations but as a user thats all you need to know

Comment

Originally posted by Venemo View Post
            What exactly is AGESA?

Comment

That's a pretty significant free performance boost. Great work AMD!

Comment

The sole public change listed is updating to AGESA 1.0.0.2a.
                Weird numbering, since previous AGESA was something 1.0.0.7x.

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
                  a important part of amd processor firmware, its version is used to determine how new is the bios as the bios is based on it, there are more technically correct or advanced explanations but as a user thats all you need to know
                  As a user you should also know that the AGESA is related to the CPU/APU performance and other low-level features like C-states and power management (which means a different AGESA can overclock differently and issues on such low-level hardware features can be fixed or introduced with an AGESA update).
                  Last edited by starshipeleven; 24 April 2018, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Yeah, new AGESA could feel like entirely different CPU Diff is so big really, that it looks like all reviewers should review these Ryzens AG(ESA)AIN

Of course if this is not just Micheal's isolated case
                    Last edited by dungeon; 24 April 2018, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X