AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Linux Performance Boosted By Updated BIOS/AGESA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sloth View Post

I have a Crosshair VI with BIOS 6101. Looks like ~60C to me.
    Can you comment here please: https://github.com/groeck/lm-sensors/issues/101

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

What motherboard do you have? Some noted, that they get the weird 60°C offset. I get only 10°C.
      MSI B350M Mortar. Latest bios has AGESA 1.0.0.1a, hopefully they release new bios with .2a soon to see if it makes any difference for that..

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
        Thanks for the link! Looks like someone else also has the same 60C offset with MSI Mortar, and there was example how to adjust that with sensors conf

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post

if that is true, I find it pretty unprofessional and confusing. Which sane company would "reset" a platform's firmware version number? This makes no sense to me and only loads to unnecessary confusion. And I'm saying this as AMD fan, … :-/
          agreed, also i can confirm that it is indeed that way

Comment

Interesting finding, maybe the Linux difference is relevant to the difference some reviewers saw using x3xx boards compared to x4xx boards, in some scenarios, x3xx would outperform x4xx quite a bit, and in most cases it would be a bit in front.

Comment

@groeck fixed the offset issue in k10temp (you can build it from source, or wait for upstream kernels to pick it up).

Comment

Originally posted by trivialfis
                Hi all. I want to assemble an workstation primarily for running machine learning tasks and get rid of Nvidia toolchains. Do you have any suggestions for a list of hardware I can buy? It's just a personal device, industrial level GPU is not planned.
                I think right now you might be completely screwed if you want really good GPGPU capabilities on Linux but you don't want to use NVIDIA and you don't have the budget for a Xeon Phi. You can, however, use OpenCL on NVIDIA hardware and avoid a dependency on CUDA at least.

Comment

Impressive improvements from a Bios update

Comment

Non-nvidia for gpgpu on Linux? There are ports of tensorflow other frameworks to AMD. Not OpenCL, but their portable version of CUDA (hip?). If I were you, I'd check their state, find benchmarks and decide based on those.

Comment

This board uses the SupremeFX 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC S1220, does the audio work under recent kernels? Apparently it's got a tweaked FW and has some issues.

Comment

Working...
                      X