Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cbxbiker61
    replied
    It's very frustrating that the motherboard manufacturers are afraid to tell us what is supposedly fixed in their firmware listings. Some of that probably stems from the fact that they would actually have to acknowledge/own firmware bugs.

The newer Asus firmware has the Spectre V2 microcode fix in it (0x8001137). When you see IBPB listed in the vulnerability fixes, it means it has that fix.

It's possible that the Spectre V2 microcode fix eliminates some of the kernel code mitigation and therefore runs faster.

journalctl -a | grep microcode | head -n1
    microcode: CPU0: patch_level=0x08001137

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/*
    Not affected (meltdown)
    Mitigation: __user pointer sanitization (spectre_v1)
    Mitigation: Full AMD retpoline, IBPB (spectre_v2)
    Last edited by cbxbiker61; 24 April 2018, 04:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• xorbe
    replied
    Originally posted by SemiLucid View Post
    Michael would you mind doing some testing for the soft lockup bug on the new Ryzen chips?

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=196683
    That's from Aug 2017 (original Ryzen). edit: Ah, I see a 2xxx APU mentioned, but pretty sure I read about Linux teething issues elsewhere already. But I don't see 2700, 2600 mentioned.
    Last edited by xorbe; 24 April 2018, 03:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• edwaleni
    replied
    Originally posted by Venemo View Post
    What exactly is AGESA? Sorry for my ignorance.
    AMD Generic Encapsulated Software Architecture (AGESA), is a bootstrap protocol by which system devices on AMD64-architecture mainboards are initialized. The AGESA software in the BIOS of such mainboards is responsible for the initialization of the processor cores, memory, and the HyperTransport controller.

AGESA documentation was previously available only to AMD partners that had signed a non-disclosure agreement (NDA). A form of AGESA source code scrubbed of "proprietary code, identifiers and concepts" was open-sourced in early 2011 to gain track in coreboot,[1] but these releases were stopped in 2014.[2][3]

AGESA is linked to AMD PowerTune

Leave a comment:

• shmerl
    replied
    Originally posted by fernie View Post

Only 10? for me it reports 90-110C mostly idle, in bios its shows ok under 40C
    What motherboard do you have? Some noted, that they get the weird 60°C offset. I get only 10°C.

Leave a comment:

• Marc Driftmeyer
    replied
    Originally posted by thelongdivider View Post
    That's a pretty significant free performance boost. Great work AMD!
    Those PostgreSQL numbers, PHP, Web Server and more really stand out, never mind all the multimedia jumps. In short, very beneficial workloads that are done by millions of systems on a daily basis.

Leave a comment:

• Wielkie G
    replied
    Sounds like this enabled Turbo, or something like that.

Is there any change in how the kernel reports Spectre status with the new BIOS?

Would like to see gaming tests now.

Leave a comment:

• shmerl
    replied
    Originally posted by eydee View Post

That was RavenPI, and the current one is PinnaclePI. They reset the version number to 1.0.0.0 when support for the new gen was added.
    Ah, thanks for clarifying.

Leave a comment:

• caligula
    replied
    Wow, pretty impressive results. Looking forward to the new Ryzen killer from Intel. I doubt they have anything in store.

Leave a comment:

• eydee
    replied
    Originally posted by shmerl View Post

Weird numbering, since previous AGESA was something 1.0.0.7x.
    That was RavenPI, and the current one is PinnaclePI. They reset the version number to 1.0.0.0 when support for the new gen was added.

Leave a comment:

• emeric
    replied
    Originally posted by fernie View Post

Only 10? for me it reports 90-110C mostly idle, in bios its shows ok under 40C
    I have the same results with k10temp.
    Also, as soon as the computer reach a login screen (both linux or windows, so I guess it's really as soon as the nvidia driver starts) my GPU fans go to 100%, which is very (very) annoying. 2700X on an asus prime x470 pro, with an "old" GTX 970...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X