Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ryzen 5 2600X & Ryzen 7 2700X - Coming Soon To Linux Desktops

Phoronix: The Ryzen 5 2600X & Ryzen 7 2700X - Coming Soon To Linux Desktops

You may have heard that next week is the AMD 2000 series Ryzen CPU launch. That's indeed accurate while today is just a meet and greet with these new Ryzen processors.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder if AMD addressed this hardware bug in the Ryzen 2: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=196683

Comment

The launch pricing on these processors looks great!

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Processor with Wraith Prism LED Cooler - YD270XBGAFBOX

Price: $329.00

AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Processor with Wraith Spire Cooler - YD260XBCAFBOX

Price: $229.00

Comment

I'm very much interested in the power measurements of the new x470 chipsets. Hope they are more efficient when idle. My Ryzen 3 2200G consumes 30 watt with a b350 chipset, for a media center I would like to get this down.
        This idle bug should have gotten more attention by AMD, at least I hope as well that the new Ryzen's will run stable now by default right from the start.

Comment

When the embargo expires it would be interesting to see if the Raven Ridge processors behave better in the 4xx series motherboards than the 3xx. I'd sure like to get a Raven Ridge but the fact that it barely boots and isn't stable without lots of BIOS tweaking is disheartening. Have fun with the new toys and good luck.

Comment

Here's hoping this goes more smoothly for me than using AMD hardware has in the past. I've had 3 Intel+Nvidia systems that've all kept working without issues until I replaced them, while on the AMD side I have an RX 480 that had to be RMA'd after it failed after only a week and then a Ryzen motherboard that failed after only a year. I want to support AMD and I think their recent CPUs are great, and I'm going to try getting a zen+ CPU to replace my current older Intel CPU(off to order one from Newegg, in fact), but if it has issues too then it's just not worth the extra effort. I'm sure the vast majority of other people have no problems with these things - I just wish I was in the same boat.

Comment

How many PCI-e lanes do the new Ryzen 2000 chips have? On the previous generation there were too few lanes so it was infeasible to put two NVMe M.2 SSDs in RAID 0.

Comment

Odd request but I'm interested in undervolting results. Since the TDP on the 2700X is higher than the 1800X, undervolting might be the best way to keep the PC silent.

Comment

All I care about is bugs. I'll buy when all the problems

* spectre
                  * meltdown
                  * so called "Linux performance marginality"

are solved. Sadly, I have no real reason to upgrade my AMD Llano from 2012 :-(

Originally posted by Pentarctagon View Post
                  I've had 3 Intel+Nvidia systems that've all kept working without issues
                  Lycky you. My last Intel processor (Core 2 Duo) had this funny bug, that with all modern tickless kernels, it would hang without constant user input. I stayed away from Intel ever since.
                  Last edited by andreano; 13 April 2018, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pentarctagon View Post
                    Here's hoping this goes more smoothly for me than using AMD hardware has in the past. I've had 3 Intel+Nvidia systems that've all kept working without issues until I replaced them, while on the AMD side I have an RX 480 that had to be RMA'd after it failed after only a week and then a Ryzen motherboard that failed after only a year. I want to support AMD and I think their recent CPUs are great, and I'm going to try getting a zen+ CPU to replace my current older Intel CPU(off to order one from Newegg, in fact), but if it has issues too then it's just not worth the extra effort. I'm sure the vast majority of other people have no problems with these things - I just wish I was in the same boat.
                    Ya you have been unlucky.

I had a similar experience with Nvidia years ago but once I got through it my 9600gt GPU served me well for like 5 years.

Comment

Working...
                    X