Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QEMU 2.12 Should Be Ready For Release Next Week

Phoronix: QEMU 2.12 Should Be Ready For Release Next Week

Barring any last minute blocker bugs from being discovered, QEMU 2.12 is expected for release next week as the latest feature update for this important piece of the Linux virtualization stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does it mean that for Windows Virtualization on Intel GPU (Let's say series 8xxx) will have GPU acceleration out of the box?
    Otherwise, how hard it is to enable it?

Comment

Originally posted by Royi View Post
      Does it mean that for Windows Virtualization on Intel GPU (Let's say series 8xxx) will have GPU acceleration out of the box?
      Otherwise, how hard it is to enable it?
      I think that "out of the box" is an overstatement. But being available from upstream makes setup much easier than relying on patched versions of QEMU and the kernel. A setup guide is available here.

You can learn more about Intel GVT-g (the tech that underlies the vGPU) here, here, and here.

Comment

Is there a way to do this all using a GUI like in VirtualBox?

Comment

I wish that VirtualBox supported Intel GVT-g, but no, it doesn't support it at present. And I doubt that VirtualBox will support Intel GVT-g in the near future.

I haven't tried, but supposedly Virt-Manager can be made to work, provided you are willing to do some tweaking. Maybe it will work without tweaking in the future

Personally, I either use QEMU directly from the command line or else use the AQEMU gui, which can be installed from the repositories of many distributions, including Ubuntu. But beware that older versions of AQEMU (available from some distributions) can be buggy.

Also, I'll note that running QEMU directly from the command line can, in some situations, be easier than trying to figure out how to set up AQEMU. That's not meant to be a criticism of AQEMU, but more of a suggestion that you may wish to start by learning how to run QEMU directly from the command line, and then try to figure out how to use the advanced features of the AQEMU gui.

EDIT: I'll just add that, when I last tried, I had to use a remote protocol (such as TightVNC or RDP) to connect to guests. I'm under the impression that using a remote protocol will no longer be needed with QEMU 2.12. But I haven't tried yet, so I can't confirm this to be true.
          Last edited by GizmoChicken; 12 April 2018, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Michael, is it possible to run the Phoronix Test Suite on QEMU? Did somebody do that already?

The extension of that question would be: does it make sense to test virtual machines with PTS? Is the PTS a valid tool to test virtual machines?

Comment

Originally posted by lowflyer View Post
              Michael, is it possible to run the Phoronix Test Suite on QEMU? Did somebody do that already?

The extension of that question would be: does it make sense to test virtual machines with PTS? Is the PTS a valid tool to test virtual machines?
              Yes, many people and companies use PTS to test QEMU or other virtualization components.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Performance wise, is QEMU superior to VirtualBox?

Is there a video guide on setting and using QEMU?

I really want to have Windows 10 on my Linux Mint with performance as close as to native installation of Windows 10.

Comment

Performance wise, is QEMU superior to VirtualBox?
                  Yes, it's superior by a lot.

Comment

You mean the Intel GVT-g thingy or in general? If you mean the latter, then GNOME Boxes is an easy alternative for VirtualBox using QEMU.

Comment

Working...
                    X