x86 Chinese CPU Manufacturer Zhaoxin Has Been Working On Linux Support

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hugh View Post
    That would make sense but it is not the way I remember it.
    I remember the Microsoft-Intel thing differently too.
    From what I have heard, Intel came up with their own 64-bit extension to x86 after they learned about AMD64, but Microsoft told them that they would support only one 64-bit architecture from Intel. And so Intel decided it was IA64 and withdrew their 64-bit x86.

There was a shake-out as fabs got more expensive and winners became obvious. The 64-bit transition was part of that winnowing. The promise of IA64 caused some to submit.
    The only one who submitted was SGI I think. Motorola went Power, HP who co-developed IA64 already owned HPPA and Alpha.

NT was ported to SPARC and Power but not shipped
    The PowerPC port shipped on the Xbox 360.

Interestingly, one leftover piece Windows has thanks to the Alpha/MIPS/PowerPC ports is the RealTimeIsUniversal registry flag, which allows system time to be set to UTC.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
      I remember the Microsoft-Intel thing differently too.
      From what I have heard, Intel came up with their own 64-bit extension to x86 after they learned about AMD64, but Microsoft told them that they would support only one 64-bit architecture from Intel. And so Intel decided it was IA64 and withdrew their 64-bit x86.
      I heard (as rumour, not fact) that Intel developed their 64-bit X86 extension long after the IA64, but before AMD, and decided to not release it because they wanted the market to go IA64. When AMD anounced AMD64, they wanted to revive it but Microsoft said "no".

The only one who submitted was SGI I think. Motorola went Power, HP who co-developed IA64 already owned HPPA and Alpha.
      Compaq, before being bought by HP, owned Alpha but went Itanium, I think.

The PowerPC port shipped on the Xbox 360.
      Oh. Makes sense. But more than a decade later. I wonder if they had to start porting all over again.

Interestingly, one leftover piece Windows has thanks to the Alpha/MIPS/PowerPC ports is the RealTimeIsUniversal registry flag, which allows system time to be set to UTC.
      I used to use that (makes dual booting with Linux much better). But Microsoft broke it at some point. Maybe it has been fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
        Hmm... China or Trump/NRA

Not as easy a choice as it was during the Cold War...
        The mind is a terrible thing to waste. Sounds like you should take a few history classes and get educated. The NRA is probably the most important human rights organization in the US today. Yes, me, my wife, and my kids are all lifetime members.

Originally posted by OneBitUser View Post
        Lastly, I sure as hell do not want the Chinese mentality to take a foothold on the global market.
        Chinese companies will follow in Apple's footsteps, not Red Hat's... they will want end-to-end control over their products, leading to much worse and more frequent vendor-locked situations than we have right now.
        Chinese companies have been demonstrating their mentality this far, that should be fair warning to anyone.
        Well said. The Chinese approach to technology is like some frightening dystopian sci-fi movie... only it's real. A lot like Obama's domestic spying programs, actually, scary stuff.
        Last edited by torsionbar28; 04-16-2018, 12:14 AM.

Comment

I used to use that (makes dual booting with Linux much better). But Microsoft broke it at some point. Maybe it has been fixed.
          I think Microsoft made an effort to fix RealTimeIsUniversal, and since Vista SP2 circa 2008 it was mostly usable. Then Microsoft lost interest and some problems appeared, especially during DST switchover (KB2687252 and others), but by late 2012 they were fixed too.

Nowadays, datacenter customers no longer want to keep their clocks in local time and so Microsoft is forced to support this registry flag again to some extent, although advising against it at every opportunity.

Comment

Working...
          X