x86 Chinese CPU Manufacturer Zhaoxin Has Been Working On Linux Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• x86 Chinese CPU Manufacturer Zhaoxin Has Been Working On Linux Support

Phoronix: x86 Chinese CPU Manufacturer Zhaoxin Has Been Working On Linux Support

Today's hardware monitoring subsystem updates sent into the Linux 4.17 kernel merge window were a bit peculiar with "new Centaur CPUs" now being supported for reading the CPU core temperatures...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Anyone knows of plans from chinese institutes / companies to use risc 5 or another new isa ?

Comment

No news about Arm. But now we know how INTEL will die.

Comment

Originally posted by Uqbar View Post
        No news about Arm. But now we know how INTEL will die.
        Not sure why you're celebrating this on a Linux site. Intel is one of Linux' largest contributors and the Chinese have no adherence to copy right, or in this case copy left, law. If the Chinese really made a competitive x86 chip and stole business from AMD and Intel the open source community would be much worse off for it.

Comment

Originally posted by kenjitamura View Post

Not sure why you're celebrating this on a Linux site.
          Because they added code to the Linux kernel... it's clearly written into the original post.

Originally posted by kenjitamura View Post
          If the Chinese really made a competitive x86 chip and stole business from AMD and Intel the open source community would be much worse off for it.
          They will. This is how AMD started their race against Intel.
          Moreover, if they make reasonable CPUs, can you imagine how many millions PCs will be built and sold with non-Intel CPUs?

Last edited by Uqbar; 10 April 2018, 02:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Uqbar View Post
            Because they added code to the Linux kernel... it's clearly written into the original post.
            So has Rockchip and MediaTek, that doesn't mean that their upstream Linux support isn't complete garbage.

Comment

Originally posted by johanb View Post

So has Rockchip and MediaTek, that doesn't mean that their upstream Linux support isn't complete garbage.
              Neither manufactures x86 CPUs.

Comment

Hmm... China or Trump/NRA

Not as easy a choice as it was during the Cold War...

Comment

I honestly don‘t really care who manufactures these CPUs. The only thing I‘m interested in is whether they need closed firmware blobs or UEFI- crap to boot enslaving me by surveilling my activity or if I can use these dead pieces of stone and plastic as my slaves to solve human problems in an automated way - how computers are just supposed to work.
                  Last edited by oooverclocker; 10 April 2018, 03:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by trivialfis
                    So, you are hoping a dedicated Linux contributor to die, in exchange of a company found by a government and never seen any activity in open source world before? What do you actually want from such a world?
                    I haven't said such a thing.
                    Just taking into account facts. Chinese companies (governement-backed or not) have proved to be quite successful at bashing western companies thanks to a number of factors like labour costs and local market size.
                    Originally posted by trivialfis
                    So? Better how?
                    Better enough to compete. Just like others did in the past and are doing right now (reads "AMD").
                    There's a number of opportunities with a CPU that's 25% slower at a fraction of the cost. With China internal market being one.
                    I am not saying I am happy with INTEL dying and am not saying Zhaoxin/Centaur CPUs are any better at the moment.
                    I say that I see a murky future for INTEL if they don't rush with really new plans and technologies.
                    They used to have "other" technologies in their quiver (like i860, i960 and Itanium), but decided to push on "the same old" tech and kill anything else.

BTW, why have you brought Rockchip and MediaTek brands while talking about x86 architectures?

Comment

Working...
                    X