Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Ryzen 7 Performance On Windows 10, Windows Server 2016, Six Linux Distributions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Originally posted by TitanFigter View Post
    Anybody knows what's going on with Ubuntu? Or is it just time to change it to Fedora?
    Ubuntu has some debugging trash enabled. Furthermore, it has non typical/non optimal Linux desktop kernel configuration.

Leave a comment:

• AsuMagic
    replied
    Originally posted by TitanFigter View Post
    Anybody knows what's going on with Ubuntu? Or is it just time to change it to Fedora?
    or switch to whatever fucking distro you want because there's a reason why everybody doesn't use one in particular

Leave a comment:

• F.Ultra
    replied
    I wonder what happened on the PostgreSQL read+write benchmark that made Windows so much faster there when it was much slower in the read-only benchmark. Almost feels like Windows cheats with fsync on writes.

Originally posted by angrypie View Post

It's a lot more stable than Buguntu. You'd know that if you've ever used it instead of talking shit on Moronix.
    And yet we are many who run Ubuntu on production servers without any problems at all.

Leave a comment:

• andyprough
    replied
    Michael -
    OpenSUSE's Richard Brown was complaining I test openSUSE with the default XFS+Btrfs file-system configuration that it's somehow unfair for my out-of-the-box benchmarking.....
    Because anyone who installs openSUSE with performance in mind uses EXT4, just like the other distros. Only takes a mouse click at installation.

It's not that your tests are unfair. It's just that they never give us a proper comparison of how our actual boxes will compete with the other distros.

Which is no problem, we can just run PTS ourselves if we like. But I agree that you shouldn't waste your time on a useless comparison. I'm only interested in real world, not default.

Leave a comment:

• dimko
    replied
    Thank you for interesting article Michael,.

IS it me, or... In all tests that actually mattered(real life scenarios tests, not some hypothetical synthetic tests) Linux beat win in no time?

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    It's a lot more stable than Buguntu. You'd know that if you've ever used it instead of talking shit on Moronix.
    I initially read this as "it's more stable than Bridgman" and thought "yeah, true...".

Leave a comment:

• boxie
    replied

well, if you use the spin that is just for bugs what do you expect :P

Leave a comment:

• angrypie
    replied
    Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

if you want a unstable distro

Leave a comment:

• caligula
    replied
    Holy crap. So why would you pay for Windows anymore? macOS is even worse, performance-wise.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by alex79 View Post
    Can you include Solus when benchmarking, please. Would like to see how it does vs others.
    I do when time allows.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X