Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Ryzen 7 Performance On Windows 10, Windows Server 2016, Six Linux Distributions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TitanFigter View Post
    Anybody knows what's going on with Ubuntu? Or is it just time to change it to Fedora?
    or switch to whatever fucking distro you want because there's a reason why everybody doesn't use one in particular

Comment

Originally posted by TitanFigter View Post
      Anybody knows what's going on with Ubuntu? Or is it just time to change it to Fedora?
      Ubuntu has some debugging trash enabled. Furthermore, it has non typical/non optimal Linux desktop kernel configuration.

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post
        And yet we are many who run Ubuntu on production servers without any problems at all.
        Is that because server software cares about stability first and foremost? Boy I wonder.
        Last edited by angrypie; 08 April 2018, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DRanged View Post

Or switch to Debian stretch or testing. Ubuntu 18.04 is based on Debian testing. It also means you don't have to change your habits oo much ;-)
          No if 18.04 was based on testing it would work instead of just bricking your computer. Ubuntu are unfortunately doing their own things and breaking stuff all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by angrypie View Post

Is that because server software cares about stability first and foremost? Boy I wonder.
            Yes, and?

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

Ubuntu has some debugging trash enabled. Furthermore, it has non typical/non optimal Linux desktop kernel configuration.
              Fedora 28 isn't even released yet. If anything, Fedora would have more debugging enabled.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                Michael -

Because anyone who installs openSUSE with performance in mind uses EXT4, just like the other distros. Only takes a mouse click at installation.

It's not that your tests are unfair. It's just that they never give us a proper comparison of how our actual boxes will compete with the other distros.

Which is no problem, we can just run PTS ourselves if we like. But I agree that you shouldn't waste your time on a useless comparison. I'm only interested in real world, not default.
                Maybe a distro should ship with defaults that are oriented to the real world?

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post
                  I wonder what happened on the PostgreSQL read+write benchmark that made Windows so much faster there when it was much slower in the read-only benchmark. Almost feels like Windows cheats with fsync on writes.
                  It's almost certainly a flawed test.

Comment

Originally posted by arjan_intel View Post

Maybe a distro should ship with defaults that are oriented to the real world?
                    Lots of people love openSUSE with Btrfs and XFS. And anyone looking for performance does not use them. Phoronix tests are performance tests. No sense testing it if you aren't going to use the standard performance setting. Us users are perfectly capable of running PTS, no reason for Michael to waste his time.

Comment

Nice to see win not taking wind, but *glups* what is going on with debian-testing UDP perf ?_?

Comment

Working...
                      X