Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Ryzen 7 Performance On Windows 10, Windows Server 2016, Six Linux Distributions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post

OpenSUSE's Richard Brown was complaining I test openSUSE with the default XFS+Btrfs file-system configuration that it's somehow unfair for my out-of-the-box benchmarking.....
    openSUSE is released with btrfs and XFS by default, but I can also understand the point of view of Richard Brown that highlights how the results are distorted by the file system.
    In fact, it all depends on what you want to test.
    Personally with all due respect for the great work you do but in general I do not find the Benchmarks so truthful in the user context. Most likely because there are many variables. Hi!

Comment

Can you include Solus when benchmarking, please. Would like to see how it does vs others.

Comment

Originally posted by alex79 View Post
        Can you include Solus when benchmarking, please. Would like to see how it does vs others.
        I do when time allows.
        Michael Larabel
        http://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Holy crap. So why would you pay for Windows anymore? macOS is even worse, performance-wise.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

if you want a unstable distro
            It's a lot more stable than Buguntu. You'd know that if you've ever used it instead of talking shit on Moronix.

Comment

Originally posted by angrypie View Post

It's a lot more stable than Buguntu. You'd know that if you've ever used it instead of talking shit on Moronix.
              well, if you use the spin that is just for bugs what do you expect :P

Comment

I initially read this as "it's more stable than Bridgman" and thought "yeah, true...".

Comment

Thank you for interesting article Michael,.

IS it me, or... In all tests that actually mattered(real life scenarios tests, not some hypothetical synthetic tests) Linux beat win in no time?

Comment

Michael -
                    OpenSUSE's Richard Brown was complaining I test openSUSE with the default XFS+Btrfs file-system configuration that it's somehow unfair for my out-of-the-box benchmarking.....
                    Because anyone who installs openSUSE with performance in mind uses EXT4, just like the other distros. Only takes a mouse click at installation.

It's not that your tests are unfair. It's just that they never give us a proper comparison of how our actual boxes will compete with the other distros.

Which is no problem, we can just run PTS ourselves if we like. But I agree that you shouldn't waste your time on a useless comparison. I'm only interested in real world, not default.

Comment

I wonder what happened on the PostgreSQL read+write benchmark that made Windows so much faster there when it was much slower in the read-only benchmark. Almost feels like Windows cheats with fsync on writes.

And yet we are many who run Ubuntu on production servers without any problems at all.

Comment

Working...
                      X