In 2018, Linux Is Still Receiving Fixes For The Apple PowerBook 100 Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

Also none is trying to hack or exploit the rocks I have in my garden, still does not make them a good choice for a computing task.
    If your task is typing... such as writing novels etc or just perhaps using it as a boatanchor shaped note taking machine it is worth noting that many 68k Macs make excellent text input devices as they tend to have decent keyboards...

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
      No need to be rude kid. I am probably older AND a better software developer than you.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        The maintainer for M68k CPU isn't exactly so overburdened with his work in maintaining the code for a very obsolete CPU, stop inflating shit out of proportion.

Really, you are right in theory, but in practice that guy is more likely to have seen this as a "sweet memories" kind of moment, about memories and things from when his work was actually still relevant.

Don't worry, due to the hierarchical structure of the Linux kernel maintainers there is pretty much 0 effort wasted by anyone else than this guy.

To fit it in that few RAM they would have to butcher the kernel down like professionals, not that such an old device would ever need most of the linux kernel features anyway.

OpenWrt for example (open firmware for network devices) has already basically dropped any support for devices with 16MB of RAM and even devices with 32MB have only 1-2 MB free, but again we are talking of devices that do need space for buffers and drivers to operate 100Mbit (or better) ethernet and wifi, doing firewall, routing, NAT and such duties at acceptable performance for modern world.

You can't compare even a random weak ralink or atheros chipset in a 30$ pocket router to this ancient laptop. The processor is orders of magnitude faster and more efficient.

This device can probably run something like uCLinux https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%CE%9CClinux which is a project to run Linux on mid and high-end microcontrollers.
        Well, it's better than that still, excluding a bunch of features you don't need, and you could definitely still use a router with 32 MiB ram with the latest and greatest OpenWrt, although I would *highly* recommend against it. :-)

Comment

So RPi have plenty of RAM actually, in comparison to this it is super modern

That reminds me on Commodore 64, where graphic could address even less than 1 KB. Remembering these times when i found this Linux, where even empty text file consumed 4 KB - i was like, what kind of bloat is this

Comment

Just let the devs have their fun. And, isn't the entire point of open source software is to let people with passion to add features they want and upstream them so someone somewhere can benefit from the changes?
            Heck, how about the people developing GPU support for SGI workstations from the 90s. The ones writing full STL for a 8bit AVR. And the guys working on emulating x86 on a AVR.

Comment

But ... can it run Crysis?

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

People can work on what they are interested in.
                In private, yes. In a global project used by billions of devices in the world, absolutely not.

Comment

The M68k has no memory management unit, how does Linux actually run on it? Is there no memory protection?

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
                    The M68k has no memory management unit, how does Linux actually run on it? Is there no memory protection?
                    The article about this Apple book is a bit irritating. The CPU family is 68000, but the actual CPU is a 68030, which has a quite decent MMU.

Comment

Maybe aprils fool...

Comment

Working...
                      X