No announcement yet.

Linux Set To Shed Nearly 500k Lines Of Code By Dropping Old CPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waiting for x86 and i8042 to be dropped, everything is ARM nowadays, no need for desktop cpus or keyboards anymore, just look at GNOME3, it has always been meant to run on tablets...oh wait they don't exist.

Comment

Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post

Which is why I argue in this particular area of kernel design, Microsoft was right. The Kernel shouldn't care about architecture specific code, it should all be handled externally.
      Since when has Microsoft offered a multi-arch OS? 2012?
      And even then Windows RT Win Phone 8 and Windows 8 were not nearly the same thing...
      I think the penetration of Linux-based products compared to Microsoft's offerings in the non-x86/AMD64 gadget and server markets speaks for itself in regard to this question.
      Sure, there are other reasons too, but I would say the industry has spoken: the Linux model is clearly more workable.
      Last edited by OneBitUser; 03 April 2018, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post

Which is why I argue in this particular area of kernel design, Microsoft was right. The Kernel shouldn't care about architecture specific code, it should all be handled externally.
        I note your post was the 2nd of April, the 1st was the day before.

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
          Waiting for x86 and i8042 to be dropped, everything is ARM nowadays, no need for desktop cpus or keyboards anymore, just look at GNOME3, it has always been meant to run on tablets...oh wait they don't exist.
          Waiting for ARM to be dropped 'cause everyone knows RISC-V is the new king lol.

Comment

Read commit message before complaining about removal. It contains very good justification. And is linked from the article.

Comment

Working...
            X