Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Test Driving A 64-Thread POWER9 Workstation, Initial Performance Against A 96-Core ARM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Test Driving A 64-Thread POWER9 Workstation, Initial Performance Against A 96-Core ARM

Phoronix: Test Driving A 64-Thread POWER9 Workstation, Initial Performance Against A 96-Core ARM

As of yesterday, Raptor Computing Systems has begun shipping the Talos II Workstation in volume. This POWER9 system is open down to the firmware and schematics while delivering quite a practical performance punch compared to today's proprietary x86/ARM servers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice try Larabel, but this hardware comparison still isn't random-ass enough.

I expect to see your comparison of the new Tesla GV 100 with a waffle iron within the week!

Comment

Yeah, I agree. This should really be a comparison against Skylake-X or at least a modern Xeon.

That being said... Can't wait to see how my box performs. Mine is going to be 144 threads! I'm sure clockspeed will suffer as these will be 18-core chips, but a lot of things should be significantly faster (ie, kernel compilation, etc).

Comment

There is no point for me to explain what others have explained before so i will go to the point: There is no chance for any kind of processor to go to the HPC market without very high single thread performance * available cores (Tesla GV 100 who came?).

Comment

So how do these 2 compare wrt price and power consumption?

Comment

Michael,

Here is what we really want to see:

This beast, same RAM, same Video Card vs intel Core-i9.

Debian, Clear Linux, Fedora, and Ubuntu

Do it.

Comment

Price / Performance / Power-usage comparison against 'options' would be interesting,.

Comment

After the original Talos kickstarter failed, I thought surely we wouldn't be hearing anything more from Raptor. Seems I might have been mistaken. I guess because their original Talos was designed with the power 8 and announced too close to the power 9, it didn't go. Maybe because they started earlier in the release cycle (if that's a thing) of the power 9, they have more confidence now (presumably with no power 10 in sight)?

Comment

Memory bandwidth and cfd tests please. Especially how many cores you need on stream to fully saturate available mem bw. This is then the number to buy, as you cant really utilize more on workloads that dont fit into cache. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by GI_Jack View Post
                    Michael,

Here is what we really want to see:

This beast, same RAM, same Video Card vs intel Core-i9.

Debian, Clear Linux, Fedora, and Ubuntu

Do it.
                    Also both Ryzen and Threadripper please.
                    ## VGA ##
                    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Working...
                    X