No announcement yet.

Raspberry Pi's Raspbian Finally Moves Up To Linux 4.14 Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks BlackSmith, Cooley, and Danny. That's what I was afraid of. There are Linux workarounds using gadgetfs, but not nearly as simple as Android. gvfs_mtp is a client-side utility driver for reading (and sometimes writing) MTP files that have been exported by a host device, e.g. a camera or smart phone. Plug your smart phone into your RPI, and Android will be serving files via mtp-server/mtp_usb on the phone, while the RPi reads (and sometimes writes) them using gvfs_mtp.

Pen drives and SD cards are usually USB Mass Storage, an older, somewhat simpler, and much different thing than Media Transfer Protocol. UMS works fine for devices that are essentially just a file system partition the client PC expects to read and write as it will. MTP is favored by smart devices that want to control what is read and written at the same time as the client: MTP file read/writes are atomic.
    Last edited by pipe13; 28 March 2018, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
      Even 4.14 is a lttle old considering Spectra, Meltdown and the like.
      If Intel is affected by these, that does not automatically mean how everbody else is too.

All kernels on kernel org had been mitigated against MS attacks, currently there should be more words about new BS attack

http://news.softpedia.com/news/after...s-520433.shtml
      Last edited by dungeon; 29 March 2018, 01:22 AM.

Comment

If only they would fix up some of their hacks and upstream them instead.

Comment

Originally posted by brrrrttttt View Post
          If only they would fix up some of their hacks and upstream them instead.
          A lot of work has already been done and mainstreamed. IMO, the problem is installing these distros for a newer user is a pain without an image, because of the closed firmware boot process of initialising the VC4, which I believe is 32bit only, although open-sourcing and other work is being done to enable Eric Anholts driver in 64bit mode.

Comment

Does anyone know when we could expect 4.14 to come out from "apt-get dist-upgrade"?

Is there another "proper/official" way to upgrade to 4.14 that doesn't require rpi-update or building-compiling from GIT? I've borked my system one too many times in the past and simply haven't got the time to troubleshoot like I used to.

Comment

Working...
            X