Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New P-State Patches Could Boost Intel Graphics Performance Under Some Conditions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New P-State Patches Could Boost Intel Graphics Performance Under Some Conditions

Phoronix: New P-State Patches Could Boost Intel Graphics Performance Under Some Conditions

Francisco Jerez of Intel's open-source Linux graphics driver team has posted not some new DRM driver patches today but rather CPUFreq/P-State driver patches that could really help Intel integrated graphics performance under some conditions and especially on the lower-power Intel platforms...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

BTW, is CPUFreq still recommended over P-State (Clear Linux, etc) or is it the other way around?

Comment

Originally posted by overwatch View Post
      BTW, is CPUFreq still recommended over P-State (Clear Linux, etc) or is it the other way around?
      Clear switched to P-State months ago; defaulting to P-State performance governor. Generally with recent kernels, P-State should be at least as good as CPUFreq.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

intel_pstate powersave leads to severe stuttering on www.vsynctester.com here with Skylake. Quite pathetic.

Comment

I have a feeling this isn't going to have much impact in benchmarks. Maybe a few graphically intensive games, but those games don't play well on Intel hardware anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
            intel_pstate powersave leads to severe stuttering on www.vsynctester.com here with Skylake. Quite pathetic.
            You mean the VSYNC logo on the right? Yes, that one stutters as well for me intel_pstate performance even. Celeron 7310 here.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
              You mean the VSYNC logo on the right? Yes, that one stutters as well for me intel_pstate performance even. Celeron 7310 here.
              Yes, and accordingly, also the animation of the background shows heavy stuttering. It's smooth for me with schedutil.
              That happens also with maxed out GPU clocks (Polaris), it's entirely related to CPU clock governor.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Clear switched to P-State months ago; defaulting to P-State performance governor. Generally with recent kernels, P-State should be at least as good as CPUFreq.
                I'd like to disagree.
                As others have already noted, Intel's very own P-State driver simply sucks when it comes to good latency-performance, no matter the setting!

But You know what, it would be simple for You to test this with a few latency-oriented PTS cases (like frame-latency tests)...

Comment

My C720-2640 Chromebook is absolutely flawless in this test, even when I drag the window around (other than the unavoidable fringe at the difference areas of the VSYNC text.)

My IVB laptop with xfwm4, stutters with desktop compositing and VSync enabled. Disable compositing or disable VSync and the stutters are much more rare.

Code:
                  $ sudo apt-get install  i7z msr-tools
                  $ echo turbo disable | i7z_rw_registers
                  That makes the VSYNC test perfectly stable in Google Chrome with xfwm4's compositing enabled. But no turbo boost.

Interestingly this does reduce framedrops in KODI with 1080p h264 videos using VAAPI, and my fan runs a little quieter, but not quiet enough to want to use KODI as a full-time media player.

Comment

Working...
                  X