Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
    Basically do not expect full speed on these SATAs especially with SSD
    If that was your point, you should've just said so.

I didn't know that, but I'd still take it over USB3 -> SATA.

Comment

Originally posted by chimpy View Post
      above 100 bucks I have to agree that people should just go for x86
      Okay, so I have to go from spending $99 to spending $169 for the cheapest Apollo Lake UP Board? I just don't understand this logic. Why are you artificially capping ARM at $100?

I agree that $100 is one of the sweet spots, in the commodity SBC market. But there are features for which I would pay more, such as higher CPU performance, lower power, bigger GPU, faster I/O, RAM capacity/speed/ECC, EMMC capacity/speed, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
        So, no. I reject your dismissal of SATA. If it's a feature you don't want and won't use, then it's useless to you.
        Hm, It is not "mine dismissal of SATA" it is norm that SATA is missing there Users might be interested to know it is made up, as i am.

However, please don't try to decide for me which features I should value.
        I am not trying to decide what you should value, i just gave here more info

WTF? It doesn't need to be native - just well-implemented.
        Well-enough-wired-up to what, to short older rev PCIE? That is like "implementing" Vulkan to Radeon R600 with fallbacks You mean, added or well-enough-wiredup If SoC have room for real SATA speeds, it would likely already be native.
        Last edited by dungeon; 26 March 2018, 01:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
          Hm, It is not "mine dismissal of SATA" it is norm that SATA is missing there Users might be interested to know it is made up, as i am.
          Calling it "made up" is the problem. Whether or not it's an integrated SoC feature is basically irrelevant (beyond the issue of drivers, I suppose). The only particularly relevant fact is how fast it runs.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
            Calling it "made up" is the problem.
            We can always choose another term there, but calling something native and via gen2, which is neither native nor gen2 is an even greater problem, that to me is not only a problem but total missinformation. And now these quasi-SATA3 ports of course performs like SATA 1.5 to 2, i am not surprised

2 x SATA3 port, native SATA implementation via PCIe-gen2 to SATA3 interface
            Last edited by dungeon; 27 March 2018, 01:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
              Thanks for the continued interest in ARM boards! Sadly this doesn't look like the new board i was hoping for. The years old Odroid C2 remains a better board, this is especially frustrating know how rapid the world of ARM application processors is improving.
              I'm very happy with my C2, but my 32-bit octacore XU4 is even faster. It's a pretty amazing board. (I don't actually need 64-bit, even the C2 has only 2 GiB DRAM).

I love alternatives, but the only thing the RPi3+ has going for me is the community. The XU4/C2 has eMMC, more memory, faster performance, and faster networking.

Comment

Nice benchmarks, but not much surprises.
                Someone might want to test something newer and more powerful from Orange Pi. For example, Orange Pi Prime with its H5 processor. Or even something with H6, although that's not very well supported yet in Armbian.
                Also, for those in Europe, the price of Orange Pi Prime is lower than RPi3+, especially considering VAT and shipping, because shipping from China is much cheaper (sometimes even free).

Comment

Working...
                X