No announcement yet.

Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess he used whatever manufacturer default image is.

Is that TinkerOS V2.0.5 from 2 days ago being used for Tinker Board, i don't t(h)ink so

Version 2.0.5 2018/03/20 992.27 MBytes TinkerOS_Debian V2.0.5
    TinkerOS_Debian V2.0.5

Release Notes
    *Changelog
    1. Support Adafruit 3.5" TFT Touchscreen.
    2. Pre-install GPIO libraries foy C, Python and Scratch.
    3. Change U-Boot debug port from UART1 to UART3.
    4. Improved the Kinect support.
    5. Fix chromium 61 version enable gpu failure issue.
    6. Add remote controller with lirc.
    7. Add HDMI CEC protoctol handling (Tinker Board S)
    8. Set the CPU minimum freq at 600 MHz
    9. Improved GPIO interface initialization script
    10. Improved the tinker-config permission.
    11. Update RK packages to fix bug for playing video 1920x1072 hevc
    12. Enable SND_ALOOP and SND_DUMMY as kernel module.
    13. Improved Xorg performance when dragging windows
    14. Enable TASKSTATS, TASK_DELAY_ACCT, TASK_XACCT and TASK_IO_ACCOUNTING to support iotop tool
    15. Fix video layer over other layers
    16. Disable HDMI audio when audio HAT is used.
    17. Enable USB_SERIAL_CH341
    18. Use Device Tree for DSI Touchscreen
    19. Improved the UMS mode detection
    20. Support Add w1_therm for DS18B20 and set the default w1-gpio's pin to GPIO 17 (GPIO0 C1).
    21. Support the old v1.0 spec of MIPI-DSI Touchscreen Display.
    22. Support RTC DS1307.
    23. Support IR receiver (TOSHIBA G83C0004D310).
    24. Improved the XBOX Controllers support
    25. Support USB LTE module (MEIG SLM750)
    26. Support ReSpeaker 2-Mics Pi HAT
    27. Support JustBoom DAC
    28. Support JustBoom Amp
    29. Support JustBoom Digi HAT (Tinker Board S)
    30. Support IQAudio Pi-DAC
    31. Support IQAudio Pi-Digi+ (Tinker Board S)
    32. Support HiFiBerry Digi+ Standard (Tinker Board S)
    33. Support HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro (Tinker Board S)

*Tinker CLI and GUI's Configuration Tools (Experimental):
    1. Fix change locale error of GUI version
    2. Add custom resolution setting interface on GUI
    3. Change UART log port from UART1 to UART3
    4. Fix change passwd fail
    5. Fix keyboard layout setting fail

MD5:
    4ff4791c00f27717e6781ef02903f089 (zip)
    f2f537deab470c188624f68714443ff8 (img)

Last edited by dungeon; 22 March 2018, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Wow, this is great! Everything is pretty much what I expected, except that I was a bit surprised quite how well the ASUS Tinkerboard did.

A couple important not to be missed:
      Security Details-
      Celeron N2820, Celeron J3455: KPTI + __user pointer sanitization + Full generic retpoline Protection
      Also, note that the Celerons are both in single-channel memory configurations. Otherwise, I think the gap with the i3 wouldn't have been so large.

Comment

Hi Michael,

I think your conclusions about the Pi 3 B+ thermal management is a bit more complicated than you show.

The Pi 3 is largely thermally limited and will quickly throttle its frequency when hitting the maximum die temperature. The default is +85C (measured with "vcgencmd measure_temp", and can be changed by setting "temp_limit" in /boot/config.txt). From the thermal measurements it looks like the B+ has a lower default temperature limit of ~70C and is running into the limit for large parts of the test. When adding a heatsink, the maximum temperature is not lowered, but it allows the Pi to run at a higher clock speed. I have verified that on my own Pi 3.

So effectively you are over clocking the Pi by adding a heat sink and thereby skewing the results!

It would be very interesting to have graph for the ARM core frequency in addition to the "System Temperature Monitor" and see the performance impact of adding heatsinks to the Pi. You can measure the ARM core frequency with the command "vcgencmd measure_clock arm". To me it looks like the performance increase of the Pi 3 B+ CPU is mainly achieved by adding a metal heat spreader to the CPU package.

Cheers
        Last edited by Veto; 23 March 2018, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
          Michael, which OS did you run the benchmarks on? If Raspbian, don't forget that AFAIK it's still strictly ARMv6 so the CPU-intensive benchmarks don't do justice to the Pi.
          True, but it's the OS supported by the much bragged about Foundation. It might add a nice dimension to see a comparison between Raspbian and some more optimized distro.

Comment

Meh. All these Pi-toys are mostly crap.
            They are used by ignoratn crowd that doen't have a clue about using a proper microcontroller, usually with Linux and bloated userland which gets mostly in the way of their "mission goal".

To top it off, they have miniscule I/O, all at not-that-low price.

If I would go for such board, I don't see a reason to look past Samsung's Artik and perhaps, were it still live and kicking, Parallela.
            And Redpitaya.

Everything else is big stinking pile of seeds/wanabee-fruits that went trough digestive tract of long line of crapeaters.
            Last edited by Brane215; 23 March 2018, 04:47 PM.

Comment

The next ODROID specs are here!

ODROID-N1 key features:
              • Rockchip AArch64 RK3399 Hexa-core processor
              • Dual-core ARM Cortex-A72 2Ghz processor and Quad-core ARM Cortex-A53 1.5Ghz processor, big-LITTLE architecture
              • Mali-T860MP4 GPU, support OpenGL ES1.1/2.0/3.0, OpenCL 1.2
              • 4Gbyte DDR3-1866 RAM, Dual channel interface for 64bit data bus width
              • 2 x SATA3 port, native SATA implementation via PCIe-gen2 to SATA3 interface
              • eMMC 5.0 (HS400) Flash storage and a UHS capable micro-SD slot.
              • 2 x USB 3.0 host port
              • 2 x USB 2.0 host port
              • Gigabit Ethernet port
              • HDMI 2.0 for 4K display
              • 40-Pin GPIO port
              • OS: Ubuntu 18.04 or Debian Stretch with Kernel 4.4 LTS, Android 7.1
              • Size: 90 x 90 x 20 mm approx. (excluding cooler)
              • Power: 12V/2A input (Attaching two 3.5inch HDD requires a 12V/4A PSU)
              • Price: US$110 (To be adjusted based on DRAM market price changes)

Source: https://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=29932

Based on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mali_(GPU) I figure the RK3399's MP4 implementation of Mali-T860, at its specified 600 MHz, should deliver 81.6 fp32 GFLOPS. Whether or not that should be regarded as good depends on how much power it consumes, but it won't hold a candle to Tegra TX-1's 500 fp32 GFLOPS (and fp16 is double that). However, TX-1's power envelope is ~10 W.

Last edited by coder; 23 March 2018, 11:12 PM.

Comment

This thing is not that small anymore. Since it needs a vent, its power consumption seems to be in 5W range an neither is it that cheap.

So, why exactly would one use it instead of some board with Atom etc ?

Whole point of such platforms, at leat in my view, is to have something a bit more than a smart microcontroller, that can do multitasking, feed a monitor or a camera and send stuff over network without that much of processing.

For anything over that there are better options already.

Comment

I have no idea about that too, i have AMD AM1 from year 2014 it is like low power PC Desktop. That had a price back then about $120 that for top APU, mobo and 4 GB DDR3 memory. GPU Kabini in this Athlon 5350 is about 192 GFLOPS... it is not intended to, but i also run this fanless too

What to say, from mine POV these SBCs make sense if bellow $100 price really - and nope, i don't like to see any fan on these

I even think If AMD update this low power line with something new low power desktop APU done with 14 nm or maybe even 12 nm, these SBCs above $100 will cry

Originally posted by Brane215 View Post
                  On that point, there is no points left - only point is just because it is ARM. So if someone wanna ARM, there is no much talk left.

When it comes to pricing people probably have no idea that difference between $50 to $100 down there is the same as difference of $500 to $1000 up there Both are double the price, could be already too much

That Asus Tinkerboard sounds most sexy to me here... it is $60, could be found for $50 with deal and is pretty much matured already when it comes to software.
                  Last edited by dungeon; 24 March 2018, 01:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by willmore View Post

True, but it's the OS supported by the much bragged about Foundation. It might add a nice dimension to see a comparison between Raspbian and some more optimized distro.
                    Yes, it's true that Raspbian is what most people will run and it's certainly important to give them an idea what to expect when they use it. But should be labelled something like "RPI 3 running Raspbian", because the machine itself is capable of more. If someone likes the RPi but feels that it falls short of his needs on performance, it would be good to know whether changing the software is all it takes to get a noticeable boost.

Comment

This thing is not that small anymore. Since it needs a vent, its power consumption seems to be in 5W range an neither is it that cheap.
                      Note that the case is an accessory. And that is literally the very first case anyone had made for it, since that board was in the initial pre-production run.

That's funny, because a 10 Watt Apollo Lake Atom is exactly what replaced my Pi. It was about $100, without memory or PSU. I could've gone with a 6 Watt model, but it's running on A/C power and spends most of its time idling.

ASRock Super AlloyIntel Quad-Core Pentium Processor J4205 (up to 2.6 GHz)Supports DDR3/DDR3L 1866 SO-DIMM1 PCIe 2.0 x1, 1 M.2 (Key E)Graphics Output Options: D-Sub, HDMI, DVI-D7.1 CH HD Audio (Realtek ALC892 Audio Codec), ELNA Audio Caps4 SATA34 USB 3.1 Gen1 (2 Front, 2 Rear)Supports Full Spike Protection, ASRock Live Update & APP Shop

This is now 1.5 years old. Anyone interested should look at this, or one of the other Gemini Lake models.

ASRock Super AlloyIntel Quad-Core Pentium Processor J5005 (up to 2.8 GHz)Supports DDR4 2133/2400 SO-DIMM1 PCIe 2.0 x1, 1 M.2 (Key E)Graphics Output Options: D-Sub, HDMI, DVI-D7.1 CH HD Audio (Realtek ALC892 Audio Codec), ELNA Audio Caps4 SATA34 USB 3.1 Gen1 (2 Front, 2 Rear)Supports Full Spike Protection, ASRock Live Update & APP Shop

I just wish they came in something smaller - like mini-STX form factor.

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                      I have no idea about that too, i have AMD AM1 from year 2014 it is like low power PC Desktop. That had a price back then about $120 that for top APU, mobo and 4 GB DDR3 memory. GPU Kabini in this Athlon 5350 is about 192 GFLOPS... it is not intended to, but i also run this fanless too
                      The Pentium J4205's HD Graphics 505 provides between 57.6 (at base clock) and 216 fp32 GFLOPS (burst). Or you get double that performance, for fp16. As you see, it's designed to run fanless (a requirement of mine).

I'm sure you can put a big heatsink on the RK3399. If it's more power-efficient than what we're discussing, then that's one point in favor of it.

Also, I'm not aware of a Pi-class board with an Apollo Lake or Gemini Lake CPU for only ~$100. Up Board has an older-generation Atom starting at $89 (with 1 GB RAM), but it's both lower-power and lower-clocked. The Apollo Lake models start at $145 for dual-core (2 GB) or $229 for quad-core (4 GB).

Going back to the ODROID-N1, another thing to consider is that this isn't their first board at this price or performance level. I think the XU4 launched at around $89. Accordingly, they're probably aware of the market conditions around that price and power dissipation level.

http://www.hardkernel.com/main/produ...=G143452239825
                      Last edited by coder; 24 March 2018, 03:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X