AMD To Issue PSP/BIOS Firmware Updates For Recent Vulnerabilities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
    Then why did your reply to me start with "That doesn't work though", when you're now saying it indeed does work?
    Read what you wrote again. CPU companies should manufacture products made for retail, but they can't, ti would cost way too much. All they can do is design IC's which are as complete as possible and then bin them to different product lineups. Those will be retail and OEM, they will be consumer and IT grade. The only difference between a Xeon and Pentium are the defects on the die.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
      CPU companies should manufacture products made for retail
      Maybe *you* should again read what I wrote, because I did _not_ say that.

Comment

Easy solution: sell these big corporate IT departments something different from what you sell to the regular public.
        Ok so wth does this mean then? Something different must mean something different right? As I said they can't, it would cost too much.

EDIT: Your consumer products get paid for -because- they are IT products.

Comment

Ok so wth does this mean then? Something different must mean something different right? As I said they can't, it would cost too much.
          It would cost too much to fuse off stuff on CPUs intended for retail? When that's something they're *already* doing, as you yourself have stated?

You're already in a hole. Stop digging.

Comment

It would cost too much to fuse off stuff on CPUs intended for retail? When that's something they're *already* doing, as you yourself have stated?

You're already in a hole. Stop digging.
            No, you are changing your words now. "something different" and "fused off" are not the same concept at all.

Comment

No, you are changing your words now. "something different" and "fused off" are not the same concept at all.
              FFS, seriously?

1.) CPU with functionality X, Y, Z.
              2.) CPU with functionality X, Y, Z, but Z is fused off.

2. is very much something different from 1.

Comment

FFS, seriously?

1.) CPU with functionality X, Y, Z.
                2.) CPU with functionality X, Y, Z, but Z is fused off.

2. is very much something different from 1.
                No, but in that case you already got what you want. 2 -is- 1 except with Z fused off, and that's already how things work.

Comment

No, but in that case you already got what you want. 2 -is- 1 except with Z fused off, and that's already how things work.
                  "2 is 3, except it's not." or "A is B, except it's not." That is literally what you just said.

I can only repeat: *stop digging*

Comment

"2 is 3, except it's not." or "A is B, except it's not." That is literally what you just said.

I can only repeat: *stop digging*
                    No that's what you just said. The fact is that CPU manufacturers cannot fabricate different dies for every product, it won't happen ever. They fabricate 1 die that is as complete as possible and then they bin it to all the different product lineups that they can.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                      AMD disables stuff too, see Epic that has 4 dies while only 2 actually have CPU cores enabled.
                      EPIC is the instruction set paradigm of the Intel Itanium processor.
                      EPYC is the marketing name of AMD's newest x86-64 server processors.

Comment

Working...
                      X