Linux 4.17 Spring Cleaning To Drop Some Old CPU Architectures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
    Hmmmm.....I thought Qualcomm's Hexagon was still a integral part of their SoC ?
    Exactly.

I guess it's either an old architecture also sold under the Hexagon branding, or else they moved away from running (or never did run) a Linux kernel on that block. Usually, DSPs run some kind of RTOS or light-weight kernel.

Comment

but, we love old architectures! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK5jPdQX5VY :-/

Comment

Originally posted by deant View Post
        It is great decision. i have always been fan of cleanng and optimising. I hope we can get smaller footprint and smaller/faster kernel.
        does not change a bit for compiling your x86 kernel. no architectures or driver code affected at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

It matters for distros like Ubuntu that ship with every driver known to mankind and every default boot flag.
          this is mostly architectural code, and all the arch specific drivers where not built at all.

Comment

Is there a planned clean and optimization to the Kernel we should feel?

Comment

it's time to drop all the cpus based on 32bit architecture.

Comment

I'd like to think I'm decently aware of various CPU architectures, but aside from OpenRISC, I'm surprised I haven't heard of any of these.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
                  Sorry, that would be a stupid decision (, now)!
                  Have you really be reminded of all the embedded and nice running little 'toys' out there...?
                  *kopfschüttel*
                  Last edited by nuetzel; 17 March 2018, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
                    If we want to be forward thinking, we should drop all architectures that are not Loongson. Everything else, ARM, x86, POWER, these are all obsolete. The one architecture to rule them all is Loongson.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                      If we want to be forward thinking, we should drop all architectures that are not Loongson. Everything else, ARM, x86, POWER, these are all obsolete. The one architecture to rule them all is Loongson.

Loongson is so 2008, should drop it too. There is no contemporary architecture for Linux, only obsolete ones.

Comment

Working...
                      X