No announcement yet.

Benchmarks Of Russia's "Baikal" MIPS-Based Processors, Running Debian Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah, I guess my earlier post wasn't clear enough.
    I'm not afraid of the Russian Federation either.

Comment

Originally posted by dkasak View Post

Lazy troll, with more than a hint of racism. Also, there's a difference between some private citizens allegedly hacking some emails, and a "hacking an election". The only people caught hacking an election recently were Diebold.
      Just to be clear, US intelligence agencies under the previous administration presented to President-elect Trump that there was zero evidence Russian agents or anyone else had hacked voting machines anywhere in the US during the 2016 election. There is also zero evidence of collusion.

The text of the Mueller indictment of the Russian agents indicates that had a 1.25 million dollar monthly budget to spread disinformation and influence public opinion about the election. They set up fake news sites on both sides, started some of the lies that were spread about candidates (not just Clinton and Trump, but others too), set up thousands of troll and sockpuppet accounts on Twitter and other social media. Among other things, they started the rumor that Clinton supported Muslim initiatives to implement Sharia law in the US, including paying people to hold signs with quotes from Hillary supporting Sharia ideas that she actually never said. They started many of the more popular rumors about evidence of voter fraud in Hillary's favor in primary elections. They faked membership in 'Black Lives Matter' forums and with some accounts said things about attacking police and similar criminal activities to make most Americans angry, and in other fake accounts they urged blacks not to vote for Hillary Clinton. They did the same in American Muslim organizations. In at least one case the Russian agents were the chief organizers of a pro-American Muslim rally in DC and also the chief organizers of the counter rally at the same time. And all of that probably did have an effect - but it's effectively impossible to quantify whether that effect was large enough to change the election outcome.

It's all in the indictment text, starting at page 14.

I'm not advocating any particular course of action. But every American should be informed about what happened. That misinformation campaign may have been enough to swing the election.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
        And all of that probably did have an effect - but it's effectively impossible to quantify whether that effect was large enough to change the election outcome.
        The US was doing the same in Russia, even without much hiding with the help of various NGOs. Can we return to the conversation about the Russian CPUs?

Comment

I apologize for not reading all comments, but I would probably be tempted to respond in some maner so it si better this way. However, I would love to cover the topic of producing CPU's (or anything for that matter) internationally, since especially in comercial sector US corporations dominate the market (not including board partners that do rely on US produced/designed chips).

What I do not understand is the US/International patent law, how and why it should be respected if it is unjust. Take for example x86 and x86_64 platforms and specifications. What does prevent other chipmakers aside from Intel and AMD to make chips based on those platforms, I would argue = not technology, but patents, if I did understand corectly (and correct me if I'm wrong please) AMD had agreement and got licence to do x86 based chips from Intel back in the days, other agreement for licence was done for x86_64 that gaves Intel lincence from AMD so they could produce those chips. My qestion is simple, there is more than 10 years since x86_64 was introduced, when does the patent "expire", since outside of high entry cost (and licence ofc.), I can't think of any reason why any other company besides Intel and AMD can't produce it.

China is "famous" for not respecting patents (in reality, same can be said for US and Russia tho), so with that parly undeserved reputation, I personally find it odd not having Chinesse "clones" or even home-developed x86_64 chips, since obviously, they and India have biggest potential for doing so (quite obvious thing just by looking at numbers, regardless of patents).

Immagine having lot's of companies producing those chips, sure there would be lot's of bad ones and who knows..., but still, maybe it would again boil down to Intel and AMD at the end, maybe there's not enough profit to take from it when everything is taken into account, but it is still interesting to imagine what could happen.

Comment

Just to be clear, US intelligence agencies under the previous administration presented to President-elect Trump that there was zero evidence Russian agents or anyone else had hacked voting machines anywhere in the US during the 2016 election.
            Aw, really? Looks like it was Comrade Cat.

Comment

Most of us that voted for Trump did so for two reasons. One we are sick of the liberal drive to curtail freedoms especially the freedom of speech and the right to own Arms. Russia had no impact hear because Clinton and the left in general are actively and publically going after our freedoms. Again Russia had little influence here as the Democrats pretty much gave the finger to working Americans in favor of policies that benefitted big corporations.

Sadly the left has looked for all sorts of excuses for the election lose not accepting that their policies stank. Being poor losers they have now went a step farther and are undermining our democratic system trying to remove Trump from office.

The second issue was all about economics and 8 years of cant do from the previous administration. In this regard the Trump administration has done more for the average person in the USA than any president in several decades. Here again the Russians had zero influence.

Just to be clear, US intelligence agencies under the previous administration presented to President-elect Trump that there was zero evidence Russian agents or anyone else had hacked voting machines anywhere in the US during the 2016 election. There is also zero evidence of collusion.

The text of the Mueller indictment of the Russian agents indicates that had a 1.25 million dollar monthly budget to spread disinformation and influence public opinion about the election. They set up fake news sites on both sides, started some of the lies that were spread about candidates (not just Clinton and Trump, but others too), set up thousands of troll and sockpuppet accounts on Twitter and other social media. Among other things, they started the rumor that Clinton supported Muslim initiatives to implement Sharia law in the US, including paying people to hold signs with quotes from Hillary supporting Sharia ideas that she actually never said. They started many of the more popular rumors about evidence of voter fraud in Hillary's favor in primary elections. They faked membership in 'Black Lives Matter' forums and with some accounts said things about attacking police and similar criminal activities to make most Americans angry, and in other fake accounts they urged blacks not to vote for Hillary Clinton. They did the same in American Muslim organizations. In at least one case the Russian agents were the chief organizers of a pro-American Muslim rally in DC and also the chief organizers of the counter rally at the same time. And all of that probably did have an effect - but it's effectively impossible to quantify whether that effect was large enough to change the election outcome.

It's all in the indictment text, starting at page 14.

I'm not advocating any particular course of action. But every American should be informed about what happened. That misinformation campaign may have been enough to swing the election.
              I have to disagree here. The big issues that drove me and many others to Trump involved Freedom and economics. For decades now we have suffered from governmental policies that move jobs off shore, All the promises of low cost goods went out the door when companies massively increased profits instead of passing on any savings. So people lost jobs by the millions while the cost of goods and services just went up. This the direct result of government policy and people wonder why voters are pissed off with the two party system.

The focus on Russia is just a way to deflect eyes from the nasties the incumbant parties have influcted on Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by Eraserstp View Post
                This is actually true, 28 nm chips made by TSMC. Our most advanced domestic production is 65 nm with 200 mm wafers.
                armageddon quote

Comment

First off there is nothing unjust about the patent system!!! It isnt perfect but nothing government wide ever is. The people that complain the most are also the ones least likely to ever create anything patentable.

Second what Intel patented for the first x86 chips likely has expired. That doesn't mean new tech hasn't been developed.

Third there are many competitive architectures from ARM, IBM and others. The failure if industry to adopt these in personal computers is not a patent system problem.

Forth getting of the X86 bus isnt easy and again it has nothing to do with the patent system. Even a company as big as Apple runs into irrational resistance. Case in point iPad which still suffers from people damning it due the lack of X86 compatibility. It gets criticized even if such a device was impossible on i86 and the software environment was never meant to be Windows compatible.

In a nut shell there is nothing to prevent a number of manufactures making their own processors. They just need to avoid using Intel derived technology. The rise of the cell phone and iPad demonstrates that it is possible to leave the i86 world behind. Getting people to accept alternatives too Windows though isn't easy. It took an entirely new industry (the smart phone) to launch ARM into the position it is today. Your concern about the X86 world in many ways is a concern about a has been technology.

Originally posted by leipero View Post
                  I apologize for not reading all comments, but I would probably be tempted to respond in some maner so it si better this way. However, I would love to cover the topic of producing CPU's (or anything for that matter) internationally, since especially in comercial sector US corporations dominate the market (not including board partners that do rely on US produced/designed chips).

What I do not understand is the US/International patent law, how and why it should be respected if it is unjust. Take for example x86 and x86_64 platforms and specifications. What does prevent other chipmakers aside from Intel and AMD to make chips based on those platforms, I would argue = not technology, but patents, if I did understand corectly (and correct me if I'm wrong please) AMD had agreement and got licence to do x86 based chips from Intel back in the days, other agreement for licence was done for x86_64 that gaves Intel lincence from AMD so they could produce those chips. My qestion is simple, there is more than 10 years since x86_64 was introduced, when does the patent "expire", since outside of high entry cost (and licence ofc.), I can't think of any reason why any other company besides Intel and AMD can't produce it.

China is "famous" for not respecting patents (in reality, same can be said for US and Russia tho), so with that parly undeserved reputation, I personally find it odd not having Chinesse "clones" or even home-developed x86_64 chips, since obviously, they and India have biggest potential for doing so (quite obvious thing just by looking at numbers, regardless of patents).

Immagine having lot's of companies producing those chips, sure there would be lot's of bad ones and who knows..., but still, maybe it would again boil down to Intel and AMD at the end, maybe there's not enough profit to take from it when everything is taken into account, but it is still interesting to imagine what could happen.

Comment

Originally posted by misp View Post

armageddon quote
                    This is the real state of things. A most modern fully domestic russian CPU is Elbrus-2SМ (WLIV, 300 MHz, two cores) made with 90 nm CMOS process at the Mikron fab in Zelenograd, Moscow.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
                      Most of us that voted for Trump did so for two reasons. One we are sick of the liberal drive to curtail freedoms especially the freedom of speech and the right to own Arms. Russia had no impact hear because Clinton and the left in general are actively and publically going after our freedoms. Again Russia had little influence here as the Democrats pretty much gave the finger to working Americans in favor of policies that benefitted big corporations.

Sadly the left has looked for all sorts of excuses for the election lose not accepting that their policies stank. Being poor losers they have now went a step farther and are undermining our democratic system trying to remove Trump from office.
                      Please stop the nonsense.

First off, the US has no Liberal party. The US Democratic Party would be considered conservative by European standards.

Secondly, there has been no effort by Democrats to curtail freedom of speech. I don't even know how to respond to that one.

Thirdly, the Second Amendment protects the rights of State Militia's. It was passed after the US Constitution was adopted; Madison and Company were terrified the US Army (which didn't exist under the Articles of Confederation) would impose it's will by disarming the State Militia groups, as England tried to do during the Revolution. The Second Amendment simply states that the US Federal Government can not forcibly disarm state militia groups. It's people like you who can't read or understand context that stretch the amendment beyond what it is intended to cover.

The second issue was all about economics and 8 years of cant do from the previous administration. In this regard the Trump administration has done more for the average person in the USA than any president in several decades. Here again the Russians had zero influence.
                      Eight years of economic growth and manufacturing job gains, not to mention a 250% gain in the stock markets. And ironically, the Trump economy is growing at a slightly slower pace then Obama's was, though you wouldn't know it from listening to conservatives boast about it. Meanwhile, they ignore the debt that WILL have to be paid for their get-rich-quick tax cuts (see what happened after Reagan for reference).

So yeah, sounds to me the Russian misinformation campaign worked wonders.

Comment

Working...
                      X