Benchmarks Of Russia's "Baikal" MIPS-Based Processors, Running Debian Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shnatsel View Post
    Just forget running Linux or anything else that's already written.
    Well, their compiler is.. OK at least. AFAIK, they have some kind of strange architecture quirks to overcome VLIW problems with branches and unoptimized code.

And as for China - they have their Loongson MIPS-compatible CPU for some years but almost no one can buy it.
    And the same goes for VIA-Zhaoxin. They announced the new generation of CPUs around 2 years ago, along with Lenovo partnership. Have luck trying to buy it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kendji View Post
      The biggest disadvantage is the 28nm node. I hope there would be more international chip makers to compete on the international market. When it comes to CPUs, the market is dominated by the big names
      I really don't understand this mindset. People assume because the chip cannot compete directly with intel's latest processors, its worthless. For most routine uses most modern x86 chips are so far overkill that even a few generations old will work perfectly.

The spec of these reference boards, 2GB of Ram, and 64GB SSDs are fine for just about all but the most demanded embedded platforms, and would be an acceptable entry level linux desktop.

Especially since Russia wants a domesticly produced chip, their first concept is not pure performance, but potential spyware/HW backdoors from AMD and Intel, which after PSP and ME, is a perfectly valid concern.

For most military and industrial uses, 28nm would be absolutely fine. Actually, for most uses discounting gaming, it would also be absolutely fine, especially if running linux.

Comment

Transmeta Crusoe was a bit slow: https://t2sde.org/hardware/portable/OQO/01+/, but the Efficeon was a bit snappier: https://t2sde.org/hardware/workstation/HP/t5000/

Comment

That said. I'm more exciting for RISC-V than Russia's internal project

Comment

Originally posted by Kendji View Post
            The biggest disadvantage is the 28nm node.
            T1 is year 2015. that was fine for the time. It is sub 5W CPU, blah, blah... Products looks like this, for these who like pictures

В нашу инженерную лабораторию попала демоплата Baikal BFK Rev 1.6 на основе первого российского процессора для коммерческих разработок — SOM Baikal-T1 MIPS . Двухъядерный процессор «Байкал-Т1» на...
            Last edited by dungeon; 15 March 2018, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Baikal T1 is a pretty straightforward implementation of a dated 32bit Warrior P5600 IP core set licensed from Imagination Technologies. Production is done by TSMC, so it’s not really anything interesting here: guys bought a IP set (including controller cores) from ImgTech, looked into it for several month, bought an elements library for TSMC fabs, compiled masks from what they got with little to no alteration and gave masks to TSMC for actual chip production.

Comment

I'm betting Russia ends up buying Chinese CPUs for any real work. No disrespect to Russian engineers, but I doubt Putin is willing and able to dump the vast amounts of resources into CPU development like the Chinese are doing.
                Last edited by coder; 15 March 2018, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Bah, American components, Russian components, ALL MADE IN TAIWAN!!

Comment

terrorist countries do not deserve advertising

Comment

Originally posted by dkasak View Post
                      some private citizens allegedly
                      using nerve agents, shoot down airliners, bombard schools, hospitals and red cross convoys, raze whole cities and just killing people without count. i wonder why nobody loves russians, they even change uniform before committing crimes

Comment

Working...
                      X