Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Icelake Server Chips To Support WBNOINVD & PCONFIG

Phoronix: Intel Icelake Server Chips To Support WBNOINVD & PCONFIG

The GCC and LLVM/Clang compilers have been working on Icelake CPU support for a while now as just the "icelake" target but now it's being separated into "icelake-client" and "icelake-server" as the CPU feature differences between the desktop-class processors and Xeon server chips become more clear for this succeeding generation to Cannonlake...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I have an unrelated question. Did you seriously sacrifice a processor on ice just for the article?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      I have an unrelated question. Did you seriously sacrifice a processor on ice just for the article?
      Unless you fire it up while still wet, I don't see that damaging the chip. Down the road maybe some rust can occur, though.

Comment

either its a crappy celeron/already broken cpu or michael sure has money

Comment

"in-chip mitigation of meltdown/spectre" sooooo in other words not really then right? not actually changing the design or else they wouldnt use that language "mitigation"

Comment

1. i'm sure it's an old crap cpu that isn't worth anything, and is no longer used in any of michael's benchmark machines. 2. freezing it in ice probably won't hurt anything. once it has thawed and has thoroughly dried, it should work just fine. people overclock cpu's using liquid nitrogen which is a heck of a lot colder than regular ice, and as long as no electricity is involved, the water is harmless.
            Last edited by torsionbar28; 15 March 2018, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
              Down the road maybe some rust can occur, though.
              what part of it could rust? all of the exposed metal is gold plated. gold does not corrode even in the presence of water. if this particular cpu has an aluminum lid, it would have to be exposed to water for a long time to form any notable corrosion on the lid, but a mr. clean magic eraser would clean it right up. either way, no rust.
              Last edited by torsionbar28; 15 March 2018, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Nope, it was an old like LGA-775 proc that fried a long time ago but kept it around... When hearing icelake for codename, knew keeping it around would finally come in handy

Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                X