AMD Secure Processor & Ryzen Chipsets Reportedly Vulnerable To Exploit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
    That isn't true. These are some examples that I can think of, of the top of my head:
    • AMD's recent range of multi-core processors are far superior to Intel for server workloads when you judge equivalently priced CPUs from Intel and AMD. Check out Michael's Threadripper benchmarks on this very site. The best value high performance servers are ones running AMD cpus.
    What's most painful for Intel is that AMD's substantially cheaper EPYC could not only hurt their volume, but also their margins. For these reasons, it represents a major threat for Intel, even if its actual penetration into the server/datacenter market stays in the single digits (percentage).

For these reasons, I would also expect them to lash out at ARM-based server CPUs from Cavium and Qualcomm. Those are probably longer-range threats, however, whereas an x86 competitor is more immediate.

Comment

Originally posted by numacross View Post
      This chipset looks familiar!

That's a Intel Core X I9 CPU with AMD sticker on it ;>

Comment

Originally posted by pcxmac View Post
        intel has locations in Israel, it's Head Quarters is in Santa Clara, CA.

*I have nothing against the people of Israel, but it is a bit of hype magnet, and has a lot of the same political meanderings that the US has in it's dealings.
        Ok, I was wrong about HQ, as I said I really don't know. I also don't have anything against any people, nor do I think some group of people have inherent superiority (or inferiority) compared to otehr groups, so it's not about hype. But just because some group of people have historical mistreatment, doesn't mean I can't criticize individuals who "belong" to that group.

Originally posted by ResponseWriter View Post

They *almost* could have had 'Skyfall', I guess.
        Yeah, that would be proper name .

Comment

LOLWUT. I read this yesterday at various sites and within minutes it became clear, also through user's commentary that his is a lot of bullshit.

The whole enterprise does not exist longer than 6 months, but they're all "total experts". They have no records.
          The videos use stock images as background.
          Everything else is made up in a similar way.
          The naming might be catchy - but a bit too catchy.
          Intel has lots of subsidiaries in Israel.
          The site "amdflaws" was registered multiple weeks ago already. A-huh?!
          AMD was given less than 24 h before they went on disclosure.
          The "BAFIN" (financial control here) has one of the involved companies already on blacklist for trying to mess up the stock market.
          The claims are not backed by real facts, evidence, PoC and the likes.
          They have a disclaimer that even says something in that direction.
          Most described need local access and flashing the BIOS/FW chip.
          and so on.

So WTF is that all good for - other than a smear-campaign against AMD? Either stock market infuencing or intel being really afraid of AMD's new products...

Compare!
          AMD had not even 24 h to react.

Intel (and otheres) was/were given 6 months om Meltdown/Spectre before disclosure. What did intel do? I guess KPTI and the likes were mainly done by generic Linux folks, distributors, Google. But at least all those patches were ready at disclosure point. Well, someone at intel must've been involved since they also tried to pull AMD down with their KPTI slowdown, even though AMD was not affected by Meltdown.
          Krzanich sold all his papers in November. Of course, it had _nothing_ to do with the impending disclosure on Meltdown.
          Intel messed up the microcode.

Again, WTF?
          Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Excellent report on this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ7H1WTqaeo

Comment

Originally posted by InsideJob View Post
              wow, all these crazy conspiracy theories from Intel haters. Just face the fact that AMD leaves us vulnerable to l33t al-qaeda h@cks0rs. Thank god or satan or whomever for these wonderful security experts in Israel. I feel much more safe and secure now. 🤪
              I can't claim it is Intel doing it, but I can't rule out that posibility, but what is most likely as others mentioned, someone who wants to manipulate stock for personal benefit, and I'm quite sure that is the case here, but again, can't rule out other posibilties.

Comment

While everyone (well, except those brainlessly going "it's Intel!" because they want to bash Intel for the sake of bashing Intel) is saying this is an attempt at stock manipulation, the whole thing is so obviously and over-the-top stupid that I can't possibly see it having success at that. So I don't think it's about stock manipulation, the only possible conclusion is that it's someone's very, very elaborate practical joke.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
                  While everyone (well, except those brainlessly going "it's Intel!" because they want to bash Intel for the sake of bashing Intel) is saying this is an attempt at stock manipulation, the whole thing is so obviously and over-the-top stupid that I can't possibly see it having success at that. So I don't think it's about stock manipulation, the only possible conclusion is that it's someone's very, very elaborate practical joke.
                  It could be reverse psychology stock manipulation , not aimed at AMD but Intel lol (another conspiracy for ya'll). No seriously, no one would waste his time on something unless there is a benefit for it, at least in the world we live in so far, nothing happens without reason, and this have reason we don't know but can speculate.

Comment

The good thing is that if it is real, it contains a robust method of re-programming the PSP, so quite likely a way to disable it

Comment

There's no way Intel will be stupid enough to attempt a stunt like this. This is outright defamation and AMD can sue Intel's pants off if they were discovered to be the minds behind this.

I do not know about US law, but in my country opinions are not recognized as a legal defense against defamation lawsuits if they are worded to insinuate or imply that the plaintiff is guilty of the allegations made.
                      Last edited by Sonadow; 14 March 2018, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X