AMD Secure Processor & Ryzen Chipsets Reportedly Vulnerable To Exploit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
    Is there a way to completely disable PSP with Ryzen?
    Yes, amd agesa 1.1.0.0 exposes an option in BIOS. I have mine disabled & it resulted in my ethernet identifier changing (that seen by ifconfig)

This is a short-sellers dream...

between: https://twitter.com/cynicalsecurity/...91954096381952 and https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...en_epyc_chips/ is a non-issue

MASTERKEY: "Exploiting MASTERKEY requires an attacker to be able to re-flash the BIOS with a specially crafted BIOS update. " By the time you let attacker install BIOS you are already PWND
    RYZENFALL: Exploitation requires that an attacker be able to run a program with local-machine elevated administrator privileges. Accessing the Secure Processor is done through a vendor supplied driver that is digitally signed. By the time you let attacker have admin rights, they can do anything they want anyway!
    FALLOUT: Exploitation requires that an attacker be able to run a program with local-machine elevated administrator privileges. Accessing the Secure Processor is done through a vendor supplied driver that is digitally signed. Same as above.
    CHIMERA: A program running with local-machine elevated administrator privileges. Access to the device is provided by a driver that is digitally signed by the vendor. Same as above.

Comment

Originally posted by Naib View Post

Yes, amd agesa 1.1.0.0 exposes an option in BIOS. I have mine disabled & it resulted in my ethernet identifier changing (that seen by ifconfig)
      Do you have any links to AMD or your MOBO manufacturer's official resources stating that the PSP is disabled? When I last looked into this I couldn't find any official info that made it clear that the PSP was disabled. The info that was available suggested that disabling this simply disable the MOBO interface to the PSP, but that the PSP itself was likely still active and capable of... who knows what; it's all an AMD secret.

Comment

So one of the expoits is that the system that is designed for remote control, can be used for remote control if you have the right key and password......

WTF?..

It got caught fast, but how did it even get this far?

Comment

I didn't think Ryzen/Epyc was designed for remote control at CPU level - we do remote control via the same Broadcom Ethernet chip as previous CPU generations AFAIK.
          Test signature

Comment

Amd has responded shortly:

The View from Our Corner of The Street

We have just received a report from a company called CTS Labs claiming there are potential security vulnerabilities related to certain of our processors. We are actively investigating and analyzing its findings. This company was previously unknown to AMD and we find it unusual for a security firm to publish its research to the press without providing a reasonable amount of time for the company to investigate and address its findings. At AMD, security is a top priority and we are continually working to ensure the safety of our users as potential new risks arise. We will update this blog as news develops.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoatally View Post
              Here's a quote from Viceroy Research
              That report was up an hour of this going public. At least one financial regulator is already upset with Viceroy Research for similar activity.

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post

Sadly not that I have found. The closest thing to it was a motherboard option to "disable" it that was found in some mobos. However, everything I read about that mobo option suggested it was likely just disabling the features related to the PSP in the mobo and not disabling the PSP itself.

In short, we are sh!t out of luck.
                Why is it so hard to provide an option to disable PSP? Poor technical design, or they do it on purpose to leave backdoors for someone (Big Brother)?

Comment

Yeah, tell me about it that this is maded public just a day after these are found They made also web page, videos, all bells and whistles in just a day
                  Last edited by dungeon; 13 March 2018, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Is this some kind of reverse pump and dump scheme. A short and stomp?

Comment

Working...
                    X