Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cooling AMD EPYC With Noctua Coolers: NH-U9 TR4-SP3, NH-U12S TR4-SP3, NH-U14S TR4-SP3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooling AMD EPYC With Noctua Coolers: NH-U9 TR4-SP3, NH-U12S TR4-SP3, NH-U14S TR4-SP3

Phoronix: Cooling AMD EPYC With Noctua Coolers: NH-U9 TR4-SP3, NH-U12S TR4-SP3, NH-U14S TR4-SP3

While Austrian PC cooling manufacturer Noctua is mostly known for their high-end enthusiast/gamer oriented cooling products, they do offer a line-up of heatsinks for both AMD Ryzen Threadripper and EPYC server processors. In this article we are trying out the NH-U9 TR4-SP3, NH-U12S TR4-SP3, and NH-U14S TR4-SP3 heatsinks on a 32-core / 64-thread AMD EPYC platform for seeing how well these air coolers will do with AMD's promising server platform.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=26107

What about the loudness of those?

Comment

I'm interested in noise levels as well. Even power consumption for that matter at idle.

Comment

Originally posted by baka0815 View Post
        What about the loudness of those?
        All of the Noctua 92/120/140mm fans tested are extremely quiet. Whoops, forgot to point that out in greater detail but unfortunately don't have the means of providing any useful sound measurements.
        Michael Larabel
        http://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I just got my EPYC 7401P and NH-U14S. The temperature is awesome, very similar to what published in article. I can really only hear the fan if my ear is less than half meter from the heatsink, and I use an open test bed.

Comment

Why are the 2 fan versions performing worse?

Comment

Is Blender Game Engine doing multi-threading at the same level as the test in the article does?

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix
                With the Blender 3D modeling software it's highly threaded and does make wonderful use of all 64 CPU threads. Still here the NH-U9 TR4-SP3 and its larger siblings had no troubles keeping up with cooling the EPYC processor.
                It's a shame that you didn't benchmark it long enough to reach steady-state so that you could legitimately come to the conclusion you presented.

What this graph shows is a steady rise in temperature, which isn't at all a clear indication that the cooling solution is coping well.

Comment

Originally posted by thelongdivider View Post
                  Why are the 2 fan versions performing worse?
                  The 2x 120 mm fan version is only worse than the single 140 mm fan. But always better than 1x 120 mm fan.

I wouldn't have guessed the single 140 mm would be quite so strong, but otherwise not surprising.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamOne View Post
                    Is Blender Game Engine doing multi-threading at the same level as the test in the article does?
                    I highly doubt it. At decent resolutions, with decent quality rendering options enabled, game engines tend to be GPU-limited, even on far less powerful CPUs.

In contrast, the non-realtime rendering benchmark he's using is doing rendering on the CPU, itself.

Comment

Working...
                    X