It Looks Like Raven Ridge Desktop APUs Will Work Better With Linux 4.17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
    Still a bit of a mess for Polaris (RX 560) indeed. ...
    I'm on 4.16-rc4:
    - resume from suspend still hangs once in a while with mandatory reboot (no tty to kill X or anything). Used to be the case with 4.14 with DC or early 4.15 release candidates and it's not completely solved (happened this morning again)
    Consider yourself lucky that resume from suspend works sometimes for you with such a new kernel. For me, resume from S3 worked fine until some October 2017 git version of 4.13+, and after that failed in 100% of all resume attempts with any newer kernel.

Comment

We have some COTS desktop hardware in house now and have been able to duplicate some of the issues others have been seeing. Normally COTS hardware and our in-house engineering boards behave pretty similarly but there seems to have been more divergence with Raven.

I also ordered a Raven laptop today (the Acer Swift 3 SF315-41-LE with Ryzen 2700U and no dGPU) - apparently it's still configured for 15W TDP even without a dGPU but seems to be able to turbo up to 20W for short periods. I had been looking at the Envy X360 (which comes with a stylus and allegedly a better touch screen in Canada) but I hadn't seen much coverage of the ASUS so figured I would try something different.

I have a twinge of concern because it doesn't have an Ethernet port, just WiFi, but drivers for the WiFi seem to have been available for a while.
      Last edited by bridgman; 08 March 2018, 07:48 PM.
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
        I will test this then again. Last time all kernels failed badly (4.15..4.17), on Arch Linux they just crashed during mode setting. At least without SDDM they booted to the command line.
        Side note, opensuse Tumbleweed has had some odd teething issues with SDDM recently. For instance, logging out and back in 2-3 times generally causes a gui hang [nv hardware], resulting in ssh + reboot. Some people get a blank screen on first log in dialog.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          I also ordered a Raven laptop today (the ASUS Swift 3 SF315-41-LE with Ryzen 2700U and no dGPU) - apparently it's still configured for 15W TDP even without a dGPU but seems to be able to turbo up to 20W for short periods. …

I have a twinge of concern because it doesn't have an Ethernet port, just WiFi, but drivers for the WiFi seem to have been available for a while.
          bridgman: It’s not an ASUS, it’s an Acer. I have this device with Ryzen 2500U. You can use a USB ethernet adapter like this one: https://www.amazon.com/AUKEY-Etherne...dp/B07259B6TR/. It works great for me. Wireless and bluetooth works fine.

You need at least a kernel based on 4.16-rc3. Agd5f/drm-next-4.17(-wip) won’t work because it is based on 4.16-rc1. There’s a NVME bug. So you won’t be able to boot.

Yesterday I rebased drm-next-4.17-wip onto linux/master. Switching to amdgpudrmfb worked better than before (it often hangs on boot). But I got a complete system hang after about one hour. Today I got very a low contrast in gnome-shell and distorted fonts; don’t know why it was fine yesterday. So I switched back to an older kernel (drm-next-4.16). I also run LLVM6-rc2, mesa18-rc4, libdrm-2.4.91.

Code:
          git remote add agd5f git://people.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/linux
          git fetch agd5f
          git checkout drm-next-4.17-wip
          git rebase --onto master 7928b2cbe55b2a410a0f5c1f154610059c57b1b2 4ac51159819dddf4643b6eccf4dc043b44929d7d

Comment

Originally posted by dwagner View Post
            Consider yourself lucky that resume from suspend works sometimes for you with such a new kernel. For me, resume from S3 worked fine until some October 2017 git version of 4.13+, and after that failed in 100% of all resume attempts with any newer kernel.
            I'm sorry but I don't.
            I remember that when moving to a different city back in 2011 I was sad because I had to unplug my Ubuntu leisurestation that had 6 months uptime. And could have gone way longer.
            Now, I just can't get past 7-10 days in the best case scenario without it hanging.

I'm on Kaveri (A10-7860K) and RX560, that's nothing bleeding edge. But hey, I understand the situation (long transitioning) and I can be patient.
            Last edited by Mez'; 08 March 2018, 06:29 AM.

Comment

bridgman: If you use GDM and/or gnome-shell (and mesa18) you need some DRI settings to fix a bug with rgb10 colours.

And could you please ask the AMD developers working with Acer to make this device able to restart (UEFI bug). On restart there is no bootable device because the NVME is not yet initialized. They maybe forgot to add a timeout. How to reproduce: Just restart from gnome-shell -> no bootable device. After Ctrl + Alt + Del everything is fine.

/etc/drirc:
              Code:
              <driconf>
              …
              <device driver="radeonsi">
                      …
                      <application name="gdm">
                          <option name="allow_rgb10_configs" value="false" />
                      </application>
                      <application name="gnome-shell">
                          <option name="allow_rgb10_configs" value="false" />
                      </application>
                  </device>
              </driconf>
              Happy testing!

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post

im on manjaro kernel 4.16 git, mesa git
                what works: everything, but some things like games have HEAVY and frequent framerate drops, that might be because im on llvm 5.0
                there are also some system hangs on both linux and windows
                i got to fix the framedropping: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...slowdowns_who/

Comment

The drivers for Wfi on the X360 now work also. This has nothing to do with AMD of course.

As for the AMD end of things behavior of Ubuntu 18.04 is better today that it was a week ago. There are still notable glitches such as attempting to power down, or resuming from sleep.

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  We have some COTS desktop hardware in house now and have been able to duplicate some of the issues others have been seeing. Normally COTS hardware and our in-house engineering boards behave pretty similarly but there seems to have been more divergence with Raven.
                  I only have the one machine (X360) but what im hearing in the forums implies that some issues impact all platforms.
                  I also ordered a Raven laptop today (the ASUS Swift 3 SF315-41-LE with Ryzen 2700U and no dGPU) - apparently it's still configured for 15W TDP even without a dGPU but seems to be able to turbo up to 20W for short periods. I had been looking at the Envy X360 (which comes with a stylus and allegedly a better touch screen in Canada) but I hadn't seen much coverage of the ASUS so figured I would try something different.
                  While i would suggest the X360 out of personal interest it does have a few of the common problems people are seeing in Linux. There might also be a keyboard handling issue with this machine but i haven't been able to reproduce that problem.

Comment

Originally posted by mhusar View Post
                    bridgman: It’s not an ASUS, it’s an Acer. I have this device with Ryzen 2500U. You can use a USB ethernet adapter like this one: https://www.amazon.com/AUKEY-Etherne...dp/B07259B6TR/. It works great for me. Wireless and bluetooth works fine.

You need at least a kernel based on 4.16-rc3. Agd5f/drm-next-4.17(-wip) won’t work because it is based on 4.16-rc1. There’s a NVME bug. So you won’t be able to boot.
                    Thanks. Yeah, realized that today (when I was talking to the SW PM about laptops and got a blank look when I mentioned ASUS Swift 3 ) but you beat me to it.

Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by xorbe View Post

Side note, opensuse Tumbleweed has had some odd teething issues with SDDM recently. For instance, logging out and back in 2-3 times generally causes a gui hang [nv hardware], resulting in ssh + reboot. Some people get a blank screen on first log in dialog.
                      This is another general issue, I had it as well several times. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X