Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Ryzen 3 2200G + Ryzen 5 2400G Linux CPU Performance, 21-Way Intel/AMD Comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    That sounds very unlikely to me, even with CPU+GPU under 100% load and the stock heatsink. Remember, Ryzen has notoriously had incorrect sensor readings, so that might have something to do with it; I'm sure it's more like 70C.
    apus have tim (arent soldered) so temps are higher than normal ryzen

Comment

With the advent of Meltdown/Spectre mitigations, syscall heavy workloads are performing much worse with Intel CPUs. I think your readers would find it useful if you added some benchmarks that depend upon syscall performance in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
        It shouldn't bring the temps up to 90 though - I'd expect it to maybe get in the 70s. I haven't seen many benchmarks involving the stock cooler, but in other Ryzen chips the stock cooler is plenty sufficient at default clocks.

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post

They have 65W TDP though.

Comment

I wonder if the 2200G is the better choice then because I don't want an unstable system.

Comment

In before people start talking about delidding these APUs.

Comment

Originally posted by wdb974 View Post
                In before people start talking about delidding these APUs.
                You're too late. (they were delidded yesterday)
                AMD Raven Ridge Ryzen 3 2200G CPU has been delidded AMD’s Raven Ridge products are designed to service the low-end desktop and mobile markets, delivering up to four Zen CPU cores and up to 704 Vega GPU cores to deliver AMD’s most powerful APU to date.  What is worth noting here is die size, with […]

And tests of delidded units with liquid metal instead of crappy thermal compound were available a hour before you even posted

We ran stock thermal tests on our 2200G using the included cooler and a 280mm X62 liquid cooler, then delidded it, applied Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut liquid metal, and ran the tests again. -

Overall results, a 10-14 ° difference with liquid metal, which is substantial.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Actually NewEgg has the 2400G back up to $189 again.
                  Odd because they are refunding customers who overpaid above MSRP.

Newegg’s sale of the new AMD Ryzen APUs, including the R3 2200G (that we’re reviewing now) and R5 2400G, posted the APUs above MSRP by roughly $20. The R5 2400G retailed on Newegg for $190, versus a $170 MSRP, and also landed the product significantly above Amazon’s competing pricing.

Comment

Originally posted by tzui View Post
                    I heart that the 2400G has some temperature issues (about 90°C under load). Does anyone know more? I hope this is not the case.
                    I know that the Intel iGPU in my laptop's Haswell chip hits 90C and throttles the entire chip all the time. It happens during video playback or attempts at gaming. It's a good thing the laptop has an Nvidia also. That one hits 80-85.

Comment

Originally posted by tzui View Post
                      I wonder if the 2200G is the better choice then because I don't want an unstable system.
                      I read about a 45W setting on another thread? is it there?
                      Or what about very slight undervolting (if you can drop 5% voltage : pretty major result)
                      For more paranoia you might run the RAM slow, waiting for firmware/AGESA updates (or better drivers/xorg as most issues might come from there)

And a "Wraith" cooler should cool the VRMs.
                      Last edited by grok; 14 February 2018, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X