Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OneBitUser View Post

What. The actual. Hell.
    My AsRock mobo does indeed support ECC... I don't recall if it had support when it was launched, but still, it is surprising and nice to have a workstation feature like that on an inexpensive board like the AB350M Pro4.

A few years down the line this might provide a cheap upgrade path for people that want a 64GB RAM machine for a hobby or work, seeing as ECC DIMMs usually sell for "pennies" on ebay.
    I don't get why it's so shocking.

My personal opinion is ECC should have been an absolute requirement since amd64. So I think this is freakin' wonderful and great. Even if way overdue.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

My personal opinion is ECC should have been an absolute requirement since amd64. So I think this is freakin' wonderful and great. Even if way overdue.
      Agreed, Linus seems to think so as well

Note:  This blog post outlines upcoming changes to Google Currents for Workspace users. For information on the previous deprecation of Googl...

I don't see the harm besides it harming "workstation" OEM's bottom line

Comment

Michael begging for review samples ... otherwise nothing new as all that was already written for Ryzen mobile ....

Comment

I am still looking forward to some Kabini-successor. My Kabinis are still fine, and probably will be for the next years, but I guess AMD is busy delivering to all the many market segments (their semi custom people, dGPUs, RyZen/TR, server Epyc, mobile, embedded segment) so that the low margin little APUs will probably follow later. But those things make nice litte secondary/tertiary/q. computers, HTPCs, SOHO file servers (if given enough SATA connectors), kiosk stations, machine controllers (if given an RS-232 and the likes) and whatnot. Low power consumption, possibly passively cooled, niceprice, enough bang for most daily workloads and still not headless if you want a display. And also offering a moderate GPU power so you can have desktop effects plus a freedom driver.
          Also for some mobile typewriters / text readers those might be interesting (combine with a good display and keyboard).
          Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Why?
            Because I am not used to this in a market where you have to pay a hefty extra just so you can turn an extra knob or two.
            I think AMD has enabled ECC support in their consumer SKUs prior to Ryzen as well, but I don't remember ECC having such a widespread adoption in consumer motherboards. Of course I might be mistaken, but I seem to remember that you had to buy select AM3+/FM2+ motherboards to have ECC support, and those were typically not positioned in the low-end or mid-range.

Comment

If there was a 12 or 16 thread Raven Ridge APU, I would buy. I don't need a fancy graphics card, any integrated GPU that can handle 4K output for a monitor (someday, I don't own one yet) is fine but I want the processing juice for software development and VMs.

...that said, the Ryzen 5 2400G is tempting.

Comment

Michael, do you have Kaveri APUs? A comparison with the Raven Ridge would be nice as I don't have access to my Kaveri hardware to compare against. I do have a Kaveri A8-7600 APU and I'm going to upgrade my APU and replace the motherboard. I would probably dedicate an APU to my media/file server and use a Zen+ CPU for my desktop as I have a GTX 960 GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
                  Michael, do you have Kaveri APUs? A comparison with the Raven Ridge would be nice as I don't have access to my Kaveri hardware to compare against. I do have a Kaveri A8-7600 APU and I'm going to upgrade my APU and replace the motherboard. I would probably dedicate an APU to my media/file server and use a Zen+ CPU for my desktop as I have a GTX 960 GPU.
                  Yes my comparisons will include Kaveri.

Ordered the 2200G and 2400G this morning, arriving tomorrow.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Brophen View Post

Agreed, Linus seems to think so as well

Note:  This blog post outlines upcoming changes to Google Currents for Workspace users. For information on the previous deprecation of Googl...

I don't see the harm besides it harming "workstation" OEM's bottom line
                    I don't think ECC RAM on consumer products can hurt workstation markets. Most people don't realize this, but all computers produce multiple memory errors every single day. It might manifest itself a momentary glitch on screen, or a segmentation fault in an app, or even a corrupted file on storage. But whether you realize it or not it happens multiple times every single day.... And CPU designers have known this for years.... Lack of ECC is -the- single worst flaw -most- CPU's have. Most other CPU flaws that get reported are very minor in comparison, they have specific scenarios to trigger them, and happen extremely rarely....

Comment

Will the Zen+ 12nm versions have more GPU units? Those GPUs seem to be quite nice, but let's say you've got an old i3/i5 you'd be better off performance wise (except for CPU limited titles) buying something like a RX 570 8 GB (when prices are back to normal) instead of a whole new platform including Mainboard, RAM, APU & stuff.

Comment

Working...
                      X