Clear All

1. Pretend you don't know about Meltdown/Spectre
    2. Buy one of these CPUs
    3. Get compromised
    4. Sue Intel
    5. Enjoy infinite money

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
      If I am going to have fans in my server, I would like it to be inaudible, although I'd rather prefer if a server with a 16W TDP could be fanless.

I'd like to have 3 servers in a 1.5U chassis with a very short depth, but sadly, it's out of stock in Newegg.
      https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16811128067
      There is no way in hell that you can have 16W fanless system, especially with hard drives and a 1.5U chassis (WD reds and similar "nas optimized" drives heat much less though).

You're better off with a cube-like mini-itx NAS-like case with a back fan, something similar to HP microservers https://www.jpaul.me/2013/06/hp-gen8...date-your-lab/ and use a fan adapter to mount an external 120mm or even 200mm fan on whatever is the mount of that thing, and the fan would be ninja-quiet while still pushing more air through. You can also add a PWM controller to throttle the thing down to reduce noise.

In my builds the main source of noise are the hard drives themselves.
      Last edited by starshipeleven; 07 February 2018, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
        1. Pretend you don't know about Meltdown/Spectre
        2. Buy one of these CPUs
        3. Get compromised
        4. Sue Intel
        5. get laughed out of court
        fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
          I assume that those cpus are affected by spectre and meltdown bugs
          You can safely assume any new CPU for the next 2-3 years will still be affected.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
            I assume that those cpus are affected by spectre and meltdown bugs
            Will not touch Intel until at least Meltdown is fixed on silicon. AMD is currently your safer bet.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
              I have a question. Why are "enthusiast" consumer processors (like the 7980XE) clocked higher than high-core-count server/workstation processors?
              Along with the other reasons others have mentioned, keep in mind a lot of servers tend to run many simple tasks simultaneously, whereas a lot of consumer applications demand a lot of constant and heavy attention. This is why many-core ARM servers got popular - depending on your workload, it's much cheaper and more efficient to run as many independent processes as possible, rather than run them as quickly as possible in a queue.

On a slight side note, with the way things are going, many-core CPUs are much better at multitasking, whereas GPUs are better for parallelization.
              Last edited by schmidtbag; 07 February 2018, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                Along with the other reasons others have mentioned, keep in mind a lot of servers tend to run many simple tasks simultaneously, whereas a lot of consumer applications demand a lot of constant and heavy attention.
                webservers are one obvious example of this. Each time there is a new connection from a client it generates a thread for its request.

Comment

Silly question: What does "SoC" mean in this context? In the normal embedded world when I see a SoC (system on chip) it generally includes both volatile (i.e. RAM) and non-volatile (e.g. flash) storage as well as a bunch of peripherals needed to do something useful. What does this chip include that makes it a SoC instead of just a CPU?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                    I have a question. Why are "enthusiast" consumer processors (like the 7980XE) clocked higher than high-core-count server/workstation processors?
                    Reliability is the primary issue, a consumer machine that fails or has a short lifespan isnt nearly the problem one would have in a room full of servers. Beyond that you need to consider processor density and thermal conditions that will impact max operating speeds. Also consummer machines seldom run at 100% for very long, in fact processor manufactures count on this.

In simple terms reliability is the key concern.

Comment

Originally posted by InsideJob View Post
                      It means the chipset - what used to be north and south bridges to mem and vid - are integrated. Plus GPU it would seem. I guess that constitutes a “system” in this context.

My Rasperry Pi SoC has a separate memory chip and no flash tho.
                      Then every Intel on the market would be SoC (due to PCI-E, memory controller, GPU).
                      Or if we consider SoC as that Minix-powered MME...

Comment

Working...
                      X