Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jailhouse Guest Support To Be Included With Linux 4.16

Phoronix: Jailhouse Guest Support To Be Included With Linux 4.16

With Linux 4.16 is initial support for the Jailhouse hypervisor to support native Linux guests in non-root cells...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder how this compares to running LXC user-mode containers. I use those a lot on servers to isolate processes like php and the web server in their own little read-only "jails". LXC is really fiddlely though and I hate using it. Often updates to the kernel or userland will break my containers so they won't start and it's difficult to figure out why.

Things like KVM are too heavyweight because most of the time I'm basically creating "VM's" just for a single process. Also, often KVM-inside-a-VM doesn't work on hosting providers whereas LXC does.

Comment

Originally posted by linner View Post
      I wonder how this compares to running LXC user-mode containers. I use those a lot on servers to isolate processes like php and the web server in their own little read-only "jails". LXC is really fiddlely though and I hate using it. Often updates to the kernel or userland will break my containers so they won't start and it's difficult to figure out why.

Things like KVM are too heavyweight because most of the time I'm basically creating "VM's" just for a single process. Also, often KVM-inside-a-VM doesn't work on hosting providers whereas LXC does.
      Did you ever heard of Docker?

Comment

Originally posted by tessio View Post
        Did you ever heard of Docker?
        Docker is a wrapper for LXC. Yes, I use it when it makes sense. Why?

Comment

Docker hasn't been a LXC wrapper in a very long time.

Comment

It's not a wrapper for LXC. If LXC isn't working for you, you should try it..

Comment

So by the sound of it is this a kind of new Xen?

Comment

Docker does in fact use LXC. It's all part of the same kernel subsystem (containers).

Comment

Docker does in fact use LXC. It's all part of the same kernel subsystem (containers).
                  Not exactly. Both Docker and LXC are user space applications based on low level kernel features (namespaces, cgroups, seccomp etc.)

Comment

Really jailhouse will need virtualisation cpu and hardware extensions that a lot of hosting provides disable so preventing KVM and jailhouse at the same time..

Comment

Working...
                    X