Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Pentium vs. AMD Ryzen 3 Performance For Linux Gaming

Phoronix: Intel Pentium vs. AMD Ryzen 3 Performance For Linux Gaming

For those that may be looking to assemble a new low-end Linux gaming system in early 2018, here is a look at the Linux gaming performance of an Intel Pentium (Kabylake) processor to an AMD Ryzen 3 while testing with the GeForce GTX 1050 and Radeon RX 560 graphics cards.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    as two low-end GPU optiobs.

Comment

That was interesting, Intel shines with AMD-GPU and AMD-CPU with NVIDIA...

Comment

Wow these results are all over the place, but I think I see a few patterns. The Geforce seems more CPU thread bottlenecked as it gains more on the Ryzen with its actual 4 threads even with a slower clock. And the Radeon doesn't see much difference between CPU's despite the Pentiums higher clock or the Ryzens more (real) threads.

EDIT: It seems like the Radeon should have seen an improvement in one situation or the other, but it doesn't. It seems like the nvidia driver has better multithreading optimization
        Last edited by duby229; 23 January 2018, 09:26 PM.

Comment

If you're using a discrete graphics chip, the Pentium G4600 is pretty pointless - while it has a vastly superior IGP compared to the Pentium G4520 (as the latter has half the EUs disabled) the cpu is pretty much identical, since the performance difference there is basically noise (just below 3% clock speed difference). And the G4520 should be ~15$ or so cheaper, making it a pretty good value. Of course, the core i3 8100 would also offer quite some formidable competition for the Ryzen 3 at a similar price point, albeit the lack of the cheaper 300-series chipsets so far puts it at a disadvantage.
          (And if all you need is the IGP, then that Ryzen 3 obviously doesn't compete. But the new Ryzen APUs of course would.)

Comment

Openarena still tells the story AMD card scale down, while nVidia card scales up as soon as it sees more CPU cores.

nVidia card likes to see more CPU cores, while AMD card became worse with more
            Last edited by dungeon; 23 January 2018, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
              Openarena still tells the story
              Now the real question is: was this run with mesa_glthread? Does Nvidia use threaded optimizations in this case?

Depending on the application, radeonsi can actually keep 1-2 extra cores busy.

Comment

@Michael

Good tests

But need put more similar hardware in gpu side RX 460/560 2GB model and on cpu is difficult because amd dont show ryzen* to compete pentiums

*Ryzen dual core + HT ?

Comment

Originally posted by VikingGe View Post
                  Now the real question is: was this run with mesa_glthread? Does Nvidia use threaded optimizations in this case?
                  Real questions require real answers i guess Openarena have no mesa_glthread profile by default as i see here:

https://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/me...src/util/drirc

While Bioshock have it, but that does not matter... as again same thing as you see - nVidia again scale up, but AMD scale down

Something is still missing in amdgpu multithread optimizations it seems or might be just not tested on AMD CPUs or something. While nVidia seems value both singlethread IPC but also more whatever cores, AMD value mostly single IPC but not more cores glthread profile seems helped here on Intel CPU, but on AMD one and with more cores it beceme worse, etc... while opposite happens with nVidia.

Which means or at least that is how these cases looks like to me, is that more of whatever CPU cores you have nVidia will win every time
                  Last edited by dungeon; 24 January 2018, 12:08 AM.

Comment

USD$200 for a RX560 - wow. I picked up a 2gb 560 last week for AUD$128 (ex demo) with the normal price for it being AUD$149.

The 4gb models were ~AUD$189

Comment

Working...
                    X