Intel Pentium vs. AMD Ryzen 3 Performance For Linux Gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
    To me all this is so obvious, just you look at first picture i posted in this thread and read nothing else... else is just further explination for these who does not understand what they should look at on that picture

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

I don't think that's quite right, as you can see that Intel CPU has a higher clock speed and slightly better IPC. I think that's the reason you see AMD cards perform slightly better on the Pentium. That 18FPS difference seems about the right margin for the actual performance difference. But I do think you are right about nVidia though.
      All this about CPU clocks and IPC is actually BS. If you want to know why Intel *Lake CPUs game better, you have to look at the memory latency of the architectures.
      Intel Sky/Cofe/... Lake CPUs have around ~50ns latency with DDR4 2400MT/s @CL15, while with same RAM Ryzen CPUs have around 90ns .
      Thats why Skylake-X from X299 platform, even when is basically the same architecture as Skylake, but has different memory architecture, has also higher memory latency - closer to those of the Ryzen CPUs ~80ns, so if clocked similarly as the Ryzen CPUs, they also trail behind in games vs Skylake.
      But Skylakes architecture dont scale as much with faster and lower latency memory as Ryzen does - while a jump RAM speed/latency from a [email protected]/s to [email protected]/s does a few percent improvement on the Skylake architecture, you have tens of % of improvement in games on Ryzen, as you are cutting the latency easily by 30ns.

And Radeon graphics are even more prone to these latencies as they dont have software based schedulers as NVIDIA has. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6yp7Pi39Z8

Maybe would be nice, if Michael could run some tests with faster and lower latency memories also on linux games.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        Please kitty don't be shy we all care about performance and don't give up so soon, someone need to fix all these old millennium CPU vulnerabilities so that negligible performance impact would be expected at least on Epyc CPU

Just looking right now what has be written in that white paper AMD posted there y-day:

https://www.amd.com/en/corporate/speculative-execution
        Last edited by dungeon; 01-25-2018, 06:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

Drirc was supposed to do so in several of those games.
          In several... --- You know, what I mean. ;-)
          We have it in for BioShock Infinite, but NOT for Openarena, currently.

Maybe Michael can redo with explicitly mesa_glthread=true enabled.

Greetings,
          Dieter
          Last edited by nuetzel; 01-25-2018, 07:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by partizann View Post

All this about CPU clocks and IPC is actually BS. If you want to know why Intel *Lake CPUs game better, you have to look at the memory latency of the architectures.
            Intel Sky/Cofe/... Lake CPUs have around ~50ns latency with DDR4 2400MT/s @CL15, while with same RAM Ryzen CPUs have around 90ns .
            Thats why Skylake-X from X299 platform, even when is basically the same architecture as Skylake, but has different memory architecture, has also higher memory latency - closer to those of the Ryzen CPUs ~80ns, so if clocked similarly as the Ryzen CPUs, they also trail behind in games vs Skylake.
            But Skylakes architecture dont scale as much with faster and lower latency memory as Ryzen does - while a jump RAM speed/latency from a [email protected]/s to [email protected]/s does a few percent improvement on the Skylake architecture, you have tens of % of improvement in games on Ryzen, as you are cutting the latency easily by 30ns.

And Radeon graphics are even more prone to these latencies as they dont have software based schedulers as NVIDIA has. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6yp7Pi39Z8

Maybe would be nice, if Michael could run some tests with faster and lower latency memories also on linux games.
            Ah, yeah, That's a pretty good point. But what I said is not BS, it -is- the largest part of the equation. But I do think you are totally correct though otherwise.

Comment

Sure there clearly will be others factors, but I think, the latency is one of the major ones.

Comment

Originally posted by nuetzel View Post
                This could become a trademark thing with NIVEA, Hamburg, Germany. --- Apart, that it looks like...
                Ha, ha, these artifical images. Natural ones trademarks looks like some old sheep is near looking for start button

Comment

Originally posted by partizann View Post
                  All this about CPU clocks and IPC is actually BS.
                  True, no one should use Windows XP wallpaper anymore, because Windows 98 wallpaper saves a lot of memory bandwidth

It is all about creators, design and limitations, save a bandwidth as much as possible and then push it as much as possible, together with all animals sitting there on Noah's Ark. You can sail like that until you hit some rock, then you will know a new era just begun

i can continue to post pictures and people will continue to see something else in these with their compressed glasses
                  Last edited by dungeon; 01-25-2018, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nuetzel View Post

In several... --- You know, what I mean. ;-)
                    We have it in for BioShock Infinite, but NOT for Openarena, currently.
                    Yet Bioshock didn't show any kind of difference compared to the other benchmarks. It seems to me that mesa's multi-threading is almost non-existant. Anyway I agree that it would be nice to see the same benchmark with mesa_glthread=true.
                    ## VGA ##
                    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Guys, the first rule of dealing with trolls is don't engage them. Seriously, did it take you that many comments to figure out what was going on?

Comment

Working...
                      X