• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phoronix
    started a topic ASUS PRIME Z370-A Running Great On Linux

ASUS PRIME Z370-A Running Great On Linux

Phoronix: ASUS PRIME Z370-A Running Great On Linux

For those looking at assembling a new system around Intel's 8th Gen Core "Coffee Lake" CPUs, the motherboard I've been conducting most of my Linux tests from has been the ASUS PRIME Z370-A. A few weeks of use with this motherboard, I'm happy with this Intel Z370 motherboard.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=25396

• modeonoff
    replied
    I think the Z370 Prime A has no wifi card. What suggestion do you have if I want wifi?

Leave a comment:

• p_johno
    replied
    Hi JennC,

Might be a bit late now but in case someone else looks at this I have bought the Asus ROG z370-i and it works out of the box with Ubuntu 17.10. The only problem is that wifi and bluetooth are not working as yet as drivers are not in the kernel yet.

Otherwise everything is running smooth with an i7-8700 processor.

Leave a comment:

• JennC
    replied
    Hi phoronix,

I was really glad to find your post. I have searched the net for a few days and your post is the only one I have located where someone is actually using the z370 chipset on an Asus board with linux. I have been researching ASUS motherboards for a linux build for myself. I use Debian Stretch currently but that could also change. I like to try new operating systems. I have a couple questions for you if you don't mind.

My first question is this --- If linux works on one mobo with the z370 chipset, will it work on another with the same ease? And I am referring to Asus boards when I ask that. I have been looking at the Asus ROG Maximus X apex. Did you have to install some obscure driver for the chipset to work or did it work out of the box? I have never used an Asus board, but am really wanting to build with one. These new boards look awesome. The processor I am going to buy is the i7-8700k. Also which linux OS are you using?

Thanks in advance, JennC

Leave a comment:

• nvaert1986
    replied
    Is it still possible to turn off Secure Boot on this motherboard? Is it still possible to load unsigned kernels that I compiled myself?

Leave a comment:

• nvaert1986
    replied
    Is it still possible to turn of Secure Boot on this motherboard and / or load my own (unsigned) compiled kernels?

Leave a comment:

• johanb
    replied
    I have "Intel" RAM for my Ryzen 1600 which is supposed to support 2666Mhz, but my computer fails to boot with anything above default 2133.
    Kind of annoying, but I can live with that.

Leave a comment:

• Jabberwocky
    replied
    Originally posted by leipero View Post
    Jabberwocky It's tricky thing to choose right motherboard for your needs, and you always need to pay attention to "officially supported RAM modules" list for motherboard you choose, it's really useful information people often miss. Yeah, if ASUS is too expensive 2nd option is ASRock, i had only one motherboard from ASRock and it was amazing, and every PC i worked on with ASRock motherboards worked really well (but same goes for ASUS in my experience).

So no, I'm not having good luck with motherboards either, but with little bit of research I can get acceptable board in specific price range. Try RAM from what is listed on ASUS website, I'm sure you will be happy with it, if not, them maybe RMA.
    Not trying to be stubborn, but the QVL does not have any 64 GB entries for 3200 MHz and I can't get most of the modules unless I import it. I currently have 4 x 16 GB 3200 G.SKILL and would like to try playing around with the automatic settings as schmidtbag suggested, but it's already running various services including firewall. I would still buy Asus above Gigabyte any day regardless of price.

PS: I'm busy porting my services to https://github.com/openstack/stackube it's going to take few months, doing it in my free time. After that I can take my system down to tweak it.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    In my eyes, it's just a gimmick.
    Yeah thankfully it is. Back in DDR2 days it was an actual issue, I was getting scared the old days were back.

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    No wait, is this still a thing?

I thought we left behind these kinds of RAM issues with DDR2.
    This is the product I got (though I got it a year ago, where it was over 50% cheaper):
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16820231873
    Note how it's spececific to Intel X99, and at the bottom of the Overview tab it only shows Intel support.

To be fair, this was released before AMD had any DDR4 support. But also keep in mind many memory brands do the opposite, where they release sticks specifically for AMD. Obviously, nothing prevents you from using these modules elsewhere, which is why I bought this pack without any regrets - works great in my Ryzen build. In my eyes, it's just a gimmick. If the price is right, that's what I care about.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X