Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB 3.2 Specification Published

Phoronix: USB 3.2 Specification Published

It's been known another USB spec update was being worked on as "USB 3.2" while a few days ago this specification update was made official...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

USB beyond 3.0 is a major clusterfuck already and this new spec does not improve the situation one bit.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      USB beyond 3.0 is a major clusterfuck already and this new spec does not improve the situation one bit.
      What do you mean?

Comment

Today, we can found mobo with USB 2.0 + USB 3.0 (AKA USB 3.1 Gen1) + USB 3.1 (AKA USB 3.1 Gen2). If we add USB 3.2 to these mobo, it will be funny for users.
        I'm surprised we are already talking about USB 3.2. Only a few mobo have USB 3.1 Gen2. And a lot of devices are still in USB 2.0...

Comment

Originally posted by Xorg View Post
          Today, we can found mobo with USB 2.0 + USB 3.0 (AKA USB 3.1 Gen1) + USB 3.1 (AKA USB 3.1 Gen2). If we add USB 3.2 to these mobo, it will be funny for users.
          I'm surprised we are already talking about USB 3.2. Only a few mobo have USB 3.1 Gen2. And a lot of devices are still in USB 2.0...
          We don't need any USB 3.0 or 3.1 ports. Make ALL the ports USB 3.2 and a few USB 2.0 ports for keyboards and headphones. That will eliminate user confusion.

I'd say remove all the USB 2.0 ports but then people will waste high bandwidth ports on a 1.5 Mbps device. Although I do like it on laptops when you just have 2 - 4 of the best ports and don't have to worry about which ones are which.

Also, I am not surprised. The USB Alternate data streams are already running 40 Gbps over a USB-C port. So obviously the wiring is more than capable of 20 Gbps. All they had to do for this is update the driver chips.

Comment

USB 3.2 is a pretty obvious improvement to make as we move to all USB-C systems and get rid of the legacy A and B connectors. I really can't understand why anyone would be upset about it, it introduces no compatibility issues and allows future devices to operate at twice the speed.
            40Gbps Thunderbolt 3 only works over 0.5m cables without expensive active redriver circuitry built into the cable, USB 3.x does 3m+. It's not an apples to apples comparison to just say the wiring is capable of it. Also the driver chips aren't faster in 3.2, they've just using two of them (or both of them in hosts that already have two for supporting alternate modes).
            Last edited by patstew; 27 September 2017, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              What do you mean?

... He needs a bigger one.

Comment

Wonder when support will land in the Linux kernel.....

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post

... He needs a bigger one.
                  And since USB 3.1 / type-C it's smaller and you can put it in either way up.

Comment

USB 3.0 was fine, 3.1 is the clusterfuck. Specifically, the voltage situation and the whole gen1/gen2 situation. Everything else about it is fine. But seriously, we don't need more bandwidth. I don't know of anything that fully utilizes the bandwidth in 3.1 gen 2, so, I don't think there's an industry demand for more than 10Gbps.

All USB 3.2 will do is alienate low-end devices even more than 3.1 already has. It's supposed to be universal. It should be readily accessible to all devices; there should not be caveats to compatibility.

Originally posted by patstew View Post
                    And since USB 3.1 / type-C it's smaller and you can put it in either way up.
                    There are USB type A to type C adapters, and they're not expensive.

Comment

Working...
                    X