Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hands On With The Tyan Thunder GT24EB7106; Building The Kernel In Under 30 Seconds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post
    Hey Michael,

would you mind running a Nightly build of Firefox on this? Would be curious to know how long that takes.
    I know the mach build infrastructure isn't exactly the fastest.
    If someone can provide me an automated script where I could adapt it into a PTS test profile.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      Joke's on you - Apple doesn't sell their Xserve series anymore lol. That being said, you could probably buy a Mac Pro for the same price for 1/4 the power.
      I said "something", not Xserve. I don't even know what Xserve is (was?).

Comment

Originally posted by PeeJay View Post
        This thing is garbage, it can't even beat a 7700K at $favourite_game
        x2, its also way over-priced, anything more than $100 is overpriced and for rich people. These CPUs discriminate against everyday people with their privileged pricing. Also they're racist against AMD fans.
        Last edited by torsionbar28; 18 August 2017, 09:57 AM.

Comment

I doubt compile jobs are this machine's forte. It's a good chance a pair of Threadrippers might do similar or better job for far less $€

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
            I said "something", not Xserve. I don't even know what Xserve is (was?).
            Xserve was Apple's rackable server lineup. It was discontinued a few years ago, for reasons I'm sure you can extrapolate on your own. I brought them up because they're really the only thing Apple has/had that was comparable to the Tyan server Michael is testing. Gotta compare apples to Apples (pun intended). Regardless, I take your point - I'm just being a brat.

Comment

Originally posted by Brane215 View Post
              I doubt compile jobs are this machine's forte. It's a good chance a pair of Threadrippers might do similar or better job for far less $€
              Well, compilation is one of those tasks where a powerful core is still relevant, so it may actually be one of the better suited scenarios for this machine. That said, I'm sure a pair of Threadrippers will beat this setup at something.

Comment

To know what to test, one needs to see what Intel says this particular CPU type is good at.

Claims:

Higher IPC than any other Intel Xeon product
                Higher memory bandwidth
                Enhanced encryption and compression perfoermance
                - 3x faster with SHA using AVX-512
                - 1.2 faster in AES-128
                - 2x faster at Reed-Solomon Erasure (not familiar with this particular action)
                NVMe Hotswap Support
                Better cache performance due to the use of a single die
                Various enhancements around HPC and AI,
                - Neon, Caffe, Theano, TensorFlow, Torch support
                Support for the Intel Parallel Studio 2017 which includes MKL-DNN and DAAL

Xeon "Gold" is not the top of the line it seems. Xeon "Platinum" seems to be. Branding CPU's is turning into like credit cards. ("Whats in your socket?")

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  Joke's on you - Apple doesn't sell their Xserve series anymore lol. That being said, you could probably buy a Mac Pro for the same price for 1/4 the power.
                  mac pro is antiquated. Imac Pro will have 8-10-18 core Xeons. Probably 6999 for 18 core model.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Well, compilation is one of those tasks where a powerful core is still relevant, so it may actually be one of the better suited scenarios for this machine. That said, I'm sure a pair of Threadrippers will beat this setup at something.
                    Citation needed for thread speed mattering significantly on build jobs. Amdahl's Law says that if you have more disjoint units of compilation (source files in C/C++) than CPUs, you can run that kind of job in parallel very well, unless one of those jobs takes much longer than the others. The Linux kernel has a lot of source files.

Comment

I'm surprised the ASPEED driver has Vulkan support, very interesting.

Comment

Working...
                      X