Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coreboot Ported To Another Core 2 Era Motherboard: G41C-GS

Phoronix: Coreboot Ported To Another Core 2 Era Motherboard: G41C-GS

If you happen to have an ASRock G41C-GS still in use or tucked away in your closet, this older motherboard for Intel Core 2 CPUs now has support for Coreboot to free the proprietary BIOS of the motherboard. Or if you don't but still have other parts available, this motherboard is still available from a few online shops...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I would love to see Coreboot support for Intel Kaby Lake or AMD Ryzen...

Comment

Who wouldn't.

However, for what it can do now, the era of hardware is enough for what is asked of it and most of us will likely never know whom, or why the purpose. Which is fine by me.
      Hi

Comment

There is still hope that AMD will get something on the rails, at least it was mentioned on that reddit event and some AMD employees do read / write here.

More on topic: At least it's a mainboard that one could possibly get hold of (if you live close enough for a reasonable shipment price). Though I'd love to see more boards supported, even older machines, but not only intel. And best was to have an even more generic approach that is less board specific (if that is possible).
        If you look closer at the Coreboot wiki you'll also notice that even their "flagship" machines often do have a few rather severe issues. Like PS/2 kbd not working as soon as you boot a kernel, or ATX poweroff not working, or no reboots, or S2R broken,... That's not really what you want if you're using it as more than a toy.

Seems that it still needs the backing of a manufacturer or large enterprise to get it really rolling.
        I still hope mainboard makers will get on that train since it is less bloated (thus expected to have less security issues) and should also be royalty free. And, once done and running, future builds and updates might happen by the community.
        Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          I would love to see Coreboot support for Intel Kaby Lake or AMD Ryzen...
          Wont happen any time soon. It's not technically feasible with any intel chips newer than 2009, or AMD chips newer than 2012, due to encryption keys in the onboard security processor.

Comment

AMD has no idea how useful coreboot can be in automating datacentre pains. Ship coreboot on amd naples platform and see widespread adoption.

Comment

Working...
            X